The concept of Schizophrenia is coming to an end

I think (as i understand this guy, though im not sure if that is in this article) that it is a complex mixture of causative factors, with varying emphasis. I think trauma can be the deciding factor. Im not sure if genetic vulnerability is always needed, i dont know.

I would think it is,otherwise how would you account for most people experiencing trauma not becoming psychotic ?

1 Like

I dont really know.

Many people get psychosis with ptsd though, 25%.

I think it is impossible to say why one person does, and another doesnt. Another person might beat up his wife after trauma instead. Maybe he genetically has a higher level of aggression, maybe it is his family or culture, maybe the type of trauma or the way he interpreted it or chose to respond.

I think it is difficult to decide and it is the same for trauma.

1 Like

Iā€™m not denying trauma can be a factor , but it needs other things to go with it to trigger psychosis. The more the stress level the less the vulnerability for psychosis is needed.

1 Like

I think we almost believe the same. It is probably a combination of both to varying degrees. One case more genes, one case more trauma is needed because of less vulnerability.

I still keep open the possibility of psychosis without genetic vulnerability, but i think it is often several factors- genes, trauma, drugs, etc.

I donā€™t think itā€™s ever 100% of one or the other re stress or vulnerability.

1 Like

I donā€™t see much coming out of a change in name to that of a spectrum in this case except for more questions during diagnosis. We donā€™t adequately understand schizophrenia and psychosis related disorders enough as it is, I donā€™t see the need in changing things until clear defined causes are found out.

A lot of the article says ā€˜maybe this caused itā€™ and throws out different things that may cause it. I just donā€™t find much in the way of progress outlined in the article. We havenā€™t really had new breakthrough treatment and to me that matters most.

You can call my symptoms whatever name you want but my negative symptoms and cognitive symptoms arenā€™t adequately being addressed by current medication.

All that said, I like the ring of integration disorder better than psychosis spectrum.

@brandotron I agree it should be better treatments first with regards to priority.

My takeaway from the article is that there are many ways that can result in psychosis, so schizophrenia should not be thought of as one disorder. Thus using a ā€œone size fits allā€ approach to treating schizophrenia is not the most effective way to go.

The article says that a person can have schizophrenia without genetic abnormalities: Just because dopamine levels rise doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s caused by biology. For example, childhood trauma can result in increased levels of dopamine, so treating such a person with an antipsychotic may not help, or even be harmful, and when the person doesnā€™t get better it would be incorrect to conclude that the person is med-resistant.

I agree with the article in that each person with schizophrenia should have a treatment plan that is unique to them.

2 Likes

Not sure about an SZ spectrum yet, but rolling Aspergerā€™s into the autism spectrum has been a pain in the arse. Now Iā€™m lumped in with people who donā€™t and wonā€™t function. Iā€™m not disabled, donā€™t feel disabled and will continue to wear my Aspie hat to spite the buggers.

I notice you say ā€˜wonā€™t functionā€™ as though thereā€™s an unwillingness to function.

Looking at the dsm iv criteria it says

The disturbance must clinically show significant impairment in social, occupational, and other important areas of functioning.

https://www.autism-society.org/dsm-iv-diagnostic-classifications/#aspergers

How does that go with your not being disabled?

An inability to function. Some of those on the low end just arenā€™t moving up the scale.

I can pass as a neurotypical when needed for extended periods. When I donā€™t itā€™s because I have no need to or donā€™t wish to slow myself down.

The all too common ā€˜maskingā€™ ?

Survival skill. No one wants to give their business to someone who makes them uncomfortable. I think of it as active camouflage.

2 Likes

A fair number of Aspies do the same. I struggle to think that I do. Someone said my trying a group at the library was ā€˜maskingā€™ . Iā€™m not so sure.

Even if you donā€™t realize it, you were masking (or attempting to mask) when you went to the library for that group meeting. You were conciously trying to be social and deliberately trying to participate for the social aspect of it. This, in itself, is a form of masking.

The real you might not even go to the library in the first place, or go, but not care/remember how you were being perceived. However, you were quite aware of how the others gelled well with each other, whereas you, despite your efforts (a key part of masking) felt out-of-step. You thought about it, realized it, still tried to be ā€œsocially appropriate,ā€ despite failing. This is all part of masking.

That is me too @Blizzard ! It also was a secret back in my day that you never tell what is going on in your house

This was brought back by @shutterbug

I wanted to add strong dose of trauma. Thanks.

we will be sure to get it in the dsm vi

1 Like

They might as well do away with all the names. Treating the individualā€™s symptoms is the most important thing. If a doctor just pumps someone full of meds due to a diagnosis, that person is most likely going to suffer even more problems.

2 Likes

@firemonkey, @anon90843118, @Cindy10, @nfy, @anon31257746, @anon73478309, @rogueone, @Daze, @shutterbug, Must I remind everyone that the renaming of manic depressive disorder to bipolar disorder did nothing to eliminate the stigma of that disorder but served only to increase the stigma?

5 Likes