Teeth and Going to the Dentist

Does anyone else have periods of time where they have completely neglected their teeth…and then need to go to the dentist?

I need to go (like in 10 minutes) and I’m super nervous about it hurting and about them wanting to take my kids (if you can’t take care of your teeth, how can you take care of kids?).

Anyone else have these fears?

3 Likes

how are the kids,

and who’s watching them when you go to your appt.?

1 Like

No ones watching them, but they are 11 and 14, so they are old enough to be alone. And my mother in law will be checking on them anyway. During my 30 minute appointment.

1 Like

I skipped a year when COVID hit. By the time I got seen a couple of months ago I needed a few crowns and had a few cavities filled. My dentist is great, he has lots of experience and he tries to make all his work as painless as possible…

But I can’t afford him so I will get the remaining two cavities filled at my clinic for free.

1 Like

the problem here in Iowa, the doctor and staff have to send a letter for payment for me to get a cleaning.
that’s all I wanted. Next to no pain
last time they hated me for being a smoker…

1 Like

I was afraid of going to the dentist and refused from age 14-24. When I finally went back the damage was bad. So far it has cost 13k and counting to fix it. And I have to wear dang braces for 2 years.

2 Likes

I skipped both my dentist and optometrist appointments this year because of Covid. Once I get vaccinated I plan to make an appointment with both of them.

I’m pretty sure everything will be fine. My teeth and eye sight have always been good. I’m 43, never had a cavity, I still have my wisdom teeth and I don’t need glasses, but I do have diabetes which could cause problems so I play it safe and go to both every year.

1 Like

how long have you been on the internet?

1 Like

They are definitely not going to take your kids. Lots of people have a fear of going to the dentist. But if you go to a good dentist it shouldn’t hurt at all. You should find a young dentist. They’re generally better.

3 Likes

Oh forgot to say. I worked with kids professionally, and they didnt even think about firing me because of bad teeth. You should be safe.

3 Likes

What do you mean? I have had internet access since I was in 4th or 5th grade I think. That would have been in the 90s.

not you. I was wondering about @Headspark

1 Like

I’ve been on the internet since about '95

1 Like

I decided a long time ago, that if someone takes the time to reply, send me an email, a text, a phone call, it won’t be ignored.

1 Like

Well, I made it through. I had nitrous. I have more cavities than I have teeth. I basically have polka dot teeth and a giant hole in one of my front teeth. I did know they were bad…that’s why I was so afraid to go in.

Taking care of your teeth requires the ability to do something very consistently and I don’t have that b/c of mental illness. If I’m debating wether or not I want to live, teeth brushing doesn’t tend to come up.

2 Likes

That was me at the end. I didn’t even have front teeth. Went with falsies and I am thrilled. My quality of life is back!

Feels good to smile in public again and also eat popcorn :popcorn:. Pardon the COVID hair.

:blush:

3 Likes

Looking good @shutterbug!

2 Likes

I didn’t go to the dentist for 10 years. Needless to say, I needed some work done. I’ve hated going to the dentist since I was a kid, bad experiences

Then I seizured and banged my head off the counter. It shattered all my molars, so there’s another $4,000 worth of work. I just don’t have the money

2 Likes

I haven’t been in over 10 years myself. On Tuesday next week, I am having 11 teeth pulled that are too far gone to save. The following visit will be to repair the teeth that can be saved, followed by a cleaning appointment. As it is getting closer I am looking forward to being without pain.

2 Likes

i haven’t gone to the dentist since i left the army… i think if i would go they would prob find all kinds of things wrong with my teeth. But I am afraid to go out so going to the dentist is really hard. I brush my teeth every day though but still i think there will be something bad…

2 Likes