Taking 2 APs, Would like to come off of Haldol? Best way to taper?

I’m on Zyprexa and Haldol and have had no episodes for 5 years. Would like to go to just Zyprexa as I have been on higher doses of both Zyprexa and Haldol and I prefer Zyprexa.

I was taking 5mg of Zyprexa and 2mg of Haldol for a few months and doing decent on that.

Due to the Haldol shortage and my not having enough supply I went down to 1mg Haldol for 2 weeks. Then I went up on Zyprexa to 7.5 mg.

I feel great on the 7.5mg of Zyprexa and am trying without any Haldol but I am having serious insomnia issues. I think I’m going to have to go back to the 1mg Haldol. This sucks but I think just being on Zyprexa 7.5 is ideal.

Any suggestions for how to taper off the Haldol completely? I’m going to go back to the 1mg Haldol now. I think I have enough of 1mg to make it through the shortage.

Does your pdoc know about this? I think the best way to get off Haldol is to come off it gradually. Learn to recognize your danger signals so you know when you might need a little more Haldol in your daily dose.

Ask your doctor.

I have an appointment with my pdoc next week. She lets me toy with my meds to find what works best. After a few years of toying around I really think 7.5 mg Zyprexa is ideal. I had some from about a year ago and started taking it again as I’m going down in dosage on the Haldol I figured going up on the Zyprexa would be right to compensate. I’m happy with the 7.5 already just am getting some nasty withdrawal from the Haldol so I’m back to 1mg. Will report how that goes over the next few days. I would taper slower but I only have about a month and a half supply at 1mg and it’s going to be about that long until the shortage is over.