Switching from Risperdone to Haldol

LOL thats rough I quit Risperidone cold turkey and had no problems other than a temporary symptom spike.

Good that you’re losing weight so far though!! Thanks for the update!

i am on 2.5 mg haloperidol generic haldol

On my third day I started noticing risperdone withdrawal symptoms , the mental aspect is fine but there is physical stuff like muscle stiffness at like 4am-2pm and I’m on day 4 , i hate muscle stiffness/soreness as it reminds me of getting off opiates which I’m sort of traumatized over. It’s not that bad luckily I have muscle relaxers but I’m using them all up. I wanna know if you guys know when the stiffness will stop.

I used both the drugs but I did the reverse. I switched from Haldol to Risperidone. Haldol is no doubt a good drug but it is an older drug. Risperidone is newer drug and belongs to a class of drugs called atypical antipsychotics or second generation drugs. Both drugs won’t produce any significant side effects when given in low doses. Haldol produces withdrawl symptoms like Nausea and vomiting in some people. Risperidone has the side effect of weight gain. One should consciously eat less when on Risperidone. (Even 1mg dose).

I am on both. 15mg risperidone and 45mg haldol…

I wanted to make the switch to Haldol from risperidone but my psychiatrist doesn’t like Haldol for me.
She said that Haldol has a high risk for TD.

Its too bad because Haldol is a good med and works wonders for me.

I’m going to ask her about it again.

1 Like

For some people, 1 mg of Risperdal is just as effective as 8 mg.

1 Like

For some Yes. I take 15mg and still have voices and delusions…

1 Like

I’m sorry, @Om_Sadasiva.

1 Like

Fortunately haldol made a difference. I am much better with haldol. But still I have voices and delusions

1 Like

They just don’t bother you as much?

1 Like

I can tolerate them. Plus they are not so frequent. Before haldol the running commentary was constant. Now it is more infrequent.

2 Likes

I am glad for you, @Om_Sadasiva.

1 Like