Supplements and cognitive issues

Does anyone know of any supplements other than sarcosine that helps cognitive problems. The sarcosine is not working. I have some dha fish oil. Is this good for helping the brain?

L-theanine helps a bit. But you become physically addicted to it and have to taper off it when you want to stop taking it.

I take 400mg a day.

I’ve heard that. I take it. I don’t notice much effect, but maybe I’d be worse if I didn’t take it.

I take L-theanine (1,000 mg day), lemon balm, L-tryptophan, L-lysine, ashwagandha, magnesium, 5-HTP, GABA, Taurine, inositol, multi-vitamin with all the B vitamins (folic acid and niacin), L-arginine, and L-ornithine.

You should check with your physician before starting a supplement regimen.

Can you get L-thenanine prescribed to you or is it a natural supplement, just wondering but @lioness I think fish oil helps i was told to take it by my psych

It’s a natural supplement.

Oh okay, how is it addictive?

I take L-theanine (1,000 mg day)

You’re going to have very serious problems if you ever come off it cold turkey for some reason. Like going to hospital or something.

Try it. Give it up for a week and watch what happens. I nearly became psychotic after trying to quit 800mg cold turkey.

I had to taper down by taking 100mg/day less each week. After 4 weeks I got it down to 400mg/day.

1 Like

I don’t know why it is, that’s just been my experience.

1 Like

@everhopeful

Thanks for the warning.

I haven’t had that problem, but I’ll certainly keep it in mind.

2 Likes

WOW! How do you feel on 1g of theanine a day? The most I’ve ever taken is around 400mg.

@NoEmotions

I should have said that I take up to 1 g of L-theanine per day. I usually take 500-600 mg per day. I don’t recommend taking 1 g of L-theanine per day, for it makes me feel “wired” (too alert). Like any medication, there’s a point of diminishing returns. Most people say 400 mg is that point.

Sounds like the L theanine is quite a powerful supplement acting like a full blown addictive drug. Are the bonuses of taking it at all worth it?

It’s down to you to decide that :slight_smile: . For me it’s definitely worth it.

1 Like

I take Cognitex Basics nootropics for my cognitive issues.