Sucralose - Good or bad for diabetics?

I should mention that I enjoy carbonated water with a splash of lime juice. The current lime shortage is messing with this.

I’m scouring online stores for good prices on more lime juice.

1 Like

Lots of people can’t stand plain water. In my eyes it’s better to drink whatever you need, within reason, to stay hydrated… than drink nothing and become dehydrated. Whatever it takes you do.

1 Like

Sucralose is not the healthiest option but it’s probably going to be better than sugar.

I try to stay away from diet soft drinks but I’m guilty of consuming a Diet Coke from time to time.

1 Like

Agreed. I think that not everyone is getting the complete point here. It’s not that sucralose spikes your blood sugar…it’s definitely a better choice for blood sugar control. The problem appears to be, if these articles are correct, that it does exactly the same thing as sugar with excess consumption. It increases your insulin resistance in the long term.

I have been using sugar free sports drinks with sucralose as a replacement for most drinks. I drink them all the damn time. I think based on these articles, I need to stop. Apparently, its no different than having a butt ton of sugar as far as insulin resistance goes in the long term.

1 Like

Yes I agree, it’s better to stop @Bowens
Water is the best drink for diabetics

1 Like

They say that it tricks your body into thinking it’s actual sugar, so the body reacts as though you are drinking real sugar, and it metabolites it as though it’s actual sugar, storing it as fat. So it really doesn’t promote weight loss eventually. Apparently the body doesn’t react to it well over time. This is just what studies are saying. The body doesn’t like to be tricked. Lolll. Bad body.

2 Likes

But how much is excess? Sucralose is 300x more sweet than sugar and only a tiny dose is needed. I wonder if they injected a rat with extreme doses, didn’t read the article.

1 Like

I also read that some artificial sweeteners altered the gut biome in rats leading to the development of fat promoting gut colonies

1 Like

I only read part of the article myself Aziz. And part of other articles.
Here is another one that seems to mention more specifics, although I only scanned it:
Sucralose decreases insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects: a randomized controlled trial - PubMed.

1 Like
1 Like

I guess water is the best. I also read bad stuff about stevia like increasing diabetes risk in offspring and other stuff.

1 Like

Thanks @Jimbob