Stopping Invega but should I wait for after the holidays?

I’ve come to the conclusion that I hate Invega as much as everyone else on this site. I just am afraid of coming off of it because I don’t want to go through withdrawals as I switch to Latuda oral. How bad are the withdrawals? I’m on the 39mg injection so it’s the lowest dose. I was thinking of wait until after Christmas because I don’t want to somehow become psychotic or have breakthrough symptoms during the holidays. At the same time I hate this drug so much it’s time to switch. Anyone have some insight on this? I’ve been on the shot for about a year…

I don’t know about invega, but AP withdrawal is not a joke,

And I’ve come off real drugs.

I’d advise waiting if you can,

And mos def do it under the supervision of a physician.

1 Like

Goldenrex, I’ve seen your posts and I really admire your free spirit. You make me laugh.

I’ve come off real drugs too and this will be the first AP I have to come off of. What does it feel like? Will I get more paranoid and start to have hallucinations?

If I was on any other AP I would wait until after the holidays but Invega is the worst. It takes so much out of me that I might not be able to do one more month. I just need to make sure my insurance covers Latuda bc I’m on disability. I’ve been so socially anxious and suicidal which is NOT me, and I’ve just stayed with invega because I’m afraid to go thru all the trial and error with other drugs.

I’m going to quit smoking weed too because I don’t want it to make my symptoms worse coming off it.

1 Like

What med are you on that makes you so functional and happy? All I notice with you is how nice and unencumbered you are by your illness! AND you have a husband, and it seems like a social life; you offer hope for me!

1 Like

U can take latuda in place of invega and i dont think u will get withdrawals. I dont even think u can get withdrawals from the shot.

When I came off seroquel it was like being hungover for two months.

You start feeling crappy about two days into it,

Headaches, light/sound sensitivity, nausea, shakes, the whole bit.

Then you get the return of symptoms, for some reason it feels worse than the symptoms did before, but I think that’s because you’re just not used to them and are at a decreased capacity to cope.

All that lasts a couple months maybe around month three you start feeling like you did before the medication.

NOW, most of that can be avoided if you go to the doctor and ask for help getting off the meds.

You may still feel pretty shitty, but they can really help with the more acute symptoms.

And thank you for the compliments!

Are you still taking uppers? Because that (shit) is going to make a difference, I don’t know how, but it won’t be fun.

1 Like

Do you know why? That’s good to hear if it’s true. I can’t even work out for my mental well-being on this drug unless I take vyvanse.

I’m using them to lose weight, been on em since I was 17 but long story short I’m also scared bc it could be the invega that makes the vyvanse work so well without any psychosis. Adderall made me feel out of this world when I got sick, I just didn’t know it at the time. But vyvanse is different. Coming off invega tho I won’t risk it, thanks for asking it feels good that there’s someone keeping me on track. Thanks for caring!

1 Like

I’m just started Abilify like a week ago.

Yes, I’m social, work, and seem normalish, but believe me,

I’m real cray cray.

I mostly suffer positive symptoms and have a lot of very active delusions,

Its not as debilitating for me because I’ve been like this my whole life, I didn’t have some sort of normal life then BOOM, schizophrenia. I came out the womb like this.

I really recommend getting on a good medication and CBT, can’t tell you enough how much that (shit) helps, probably more than any other thing.

2 Likes

Its because theyre both antipsychotics

I’ve been on the pills 9mg for about a year and i would like to lower it to 6mg then to 3mg if i’m lucky. I have been pretty stable on Invega, it’s a good med for me, i will have to wait till January to reduce my dose. I will talk to my pdoc about reducing it.

1 Like

I think you should start by quitting the weed. It could be worsening your symptoms.

Then after the holidays, you could tell your PDOC about the symptoms you’ve been having, and work out a plan with them to maybe come off Invega

This thread can be closed. A quick update: I got off the Invega Sustenna on November 21, the shot is definitely still in my system but I can feel it leaving me. Every six weeks, to the day, I get this weird feeling after having all these emotions and pre frontal cortex function return all stop and then my eyes look crazy like they used to. It’s the medicine beads being released and then I have to wait another 6 weeks just for it to go away and then it’s just half as intense. It ■■■■■■■ sucks but so glad I got off of it. I’m supposed to be on Latuda but bc the Invega is still in my system I’m just waiting a few months. Been about two and no break thru symptoms. I’ll be starting latuda in feb or March! Get off this poison as soon as possible if u read this. It’s just this med, others are fine, but it ruins everything from ur bones to ur boners.