Starting 2mg of melatonin tonight

I start 2mg of melatonin tonight. Picked it up from pharmacy today. I’m a bit anxious about it. But my psychiatrist is sound and I don’t think she would ever prescribe something detrimental to my health.

Im giving it a months go/trial and then meeting with her to discuss how it’s going and my annual review.

Will let you guys know if it works.

4 Likes

It’s being prescribed off-label. As here in the Uk it’s not really used for people my age. It’s more for young people with autism and elderly.

2 Likes

I was taking 3mg melatonin and told my regular doc. He said that low of a dose won’t do very much.

Really. Wow ok. Maybe it won’t do anything.

It’s not something to worry much about. In many countries including mine you can buy it over the counter as it’s regarded more a supplement than a medication.

I use about 0.7mg which works good for me. Higher than 1mg is counterproductive in my case. In the case of melatonin often less is better. The body is supposed to make somewhere between 0.5-1mg on it’s own when not impaired.

1 Like

That’s helpful info @Mr_Hope ty.

2 Likes

It’s all a matter of why you are taking it.

If you need to for example readjust your sleep cycle, you might want to use more let’s say 3-5 mg for up to a week, but actually 1-2 mg is just about right if your circadian rhythm is already locked in, or in other words you don’t need to go to sleep sooner than the days before.

1 Like

Wow guys I went to bed not expecting it to work. Figured it was just a supplement and wouldn’t get any benefit from it

I can honestly say I’ve had such a good sleep. And I feel calmer today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.