Ssri conjunction with antipsychotic. How do they interact

So, Zoloft and abilify. I feel since they raised my Zoloft from 25 to 50 mg my delusions have pretty much dissolved. No other med changes, but I am very cognizant about takingmeds every day. I have been in the past, still had delusions. Now I’m on the Zoloft 50 mg and I feel it interacts, all my meds do In one way or another together.

Just seems the more I drug myself with these pills the less bad I feel, the less need to drink or take drugs. But Zoloft shouldn’t be lessening my psychosis should it??

Maybe we can look up for the relationship and difference between serotonin and dopamine?

1 Like

I have SZA depressive type so I’m sure there is a connection.

2 Likes

I’m sza bipolar type. I’m pretty sure a lot of my brain issues are related to serotonin and dopamine. Like I heard somewhere trauma depletes d2 cells (dopamine) and then you become addicted to drugs/alcohol and have a whole array of problems and have to take meds to balance out 1 chemical without upsetting another. I’m not even sure. You know who I think knows a lot about this?? @Anna

1 Like

For me sertraline made me more psychotic rather than less, so I find it interesting it’s doing the opposite for you. I don’t know why this would be the case though

What other meds are you on. The first pill I EVER took was Wellbutrin back in 2010 it made me floridly psychotic. As bad as I ever was. I was scarily psychotic. The person in the psych ward who gets haldol needles In their ass every day. And put in restraints.

I don’t think abilify and Zoloft only would be a good combo for me. It might make me psychotic. But when I added naltrexone, it works as an antipsychotic for me. A girl told me she experienced the same thing but haven’t met too many people who’ve taken it. But abilify and naltrexone hit psychosis at different angles. So my psychosis wasn’t too bad other than the delusions. But now I have Zoloft 50 mg too and my delusions are less and more rational thinking in general. You can actually google and see naltrexone and Zoloft do have a big interaction. So maybe it is the interaction with that med rather than an ap which is causing the somewhat sane picture :open_mouth:.

I wanna change my screen name to gratitude

2 Likes

It was my first psychiatric med, sertraline/zoloft. It affected me the way your first wellbutrin did you, though perhaps not as extremely. It was possibly the highest I’ve ever felt though, and I’ve tried any recreational drugs I’ve come across in the past

I’ve been on it another time and it did the same thing but milder, probably since at that point I was on antipsychotics (I think aripiprazole at the time)

1 Like

I love you for this

2 Likes

That’s wild because I’ve been on Wellbutrin since as well, after getting started on antipsychotics, they put me back on Wellbutrin.

The problem with Wellbutrin, the first time I took it, it had recreational use. It made me trip. I wrote about in my book. I thought bugs on the wall crawling all over the place and crazy hallucinations. I took the whole script in 13 days I know because I was abusing it. Then they prescribed me Risperdal. And It had almost the same reaction is the Wellbutrin. I was so crazy that the antipsychotic didn’t help me and only made me more psychotic until I was hospitalized, put on Zyprexa Thorazine and Haldol :grimacing:

Ok @Ninjastar @Rhubot @anon9798425 @Moonbeam Change my sn to “Gratitude” if it’s still available.

1 Like

Oh man it’s so beautiful thanks @Ninjastar

1 Like

Done! That will cost three adorable pictures of Don Juan!

1 Like

oh @Jonnybegood I love it so

1 Like

Btw I told you jimbob would come back :wink:

1 Like

ADs reduce things like anxiety, depression, etc. These are things that alone can trigger psychosis. So indirectly they can improve your psychosis by removing those trigger sources :slight_smile: Abilify at small doses acts as an amplifier for antidepressants.

Now in regards to Zoloft specifically I was on Zoloft & abilify at one point and was having really strong effects from small doses of abilify and I learned that Zoloft specifically interacts w abilify to cause additive effects as it effects how abilify is metabolized. This meant for me Zoloft was not a good choice to be used w abilify as it just made the side effects unbearable. But if it is working for you that’s great!!

1 Like