Some women with psychotic disorders are more vulnerable around the time of menstruation

2 Likes

This is very true
Mental illnesses can be triggered by mensturation
And bipolar and schizophrenia can occur after a woman has children
I had a freind who became bipolar after having children
And my symptoms get worse around period

1 Like

I’ve never had children don’t plan on it happening in the future either. But during menstruation symptoms do get worse especially paranoia

Yes I find this the case with me too. Last time I had pms I heard voices. And my one pdoc said it’s best I don’t have kids as I may be high risk for postpartum psychosis and I believe this to be right as I don’t think I can take the stress of pregnancy and kids.

Me!

I love that there is finally attention for this. It took me years and years for psychiatrists to acknowledge that hormones affect psychosis.

I’m menstruating for the first time in 7 years. What a shock. My doctor told me I was in menopause. I noticed destabilization in my mood but thankfully no psychosis.

I understand…if the situation was good, i would LOVE to have another baby. But i wouldnt dare to, even if i had a partner. Childbirth and especially quitting breastfeeding did throw my off balance (though the situation being fearful played the biggest role). Also, i couldnt care for the kid fulltime.