Social welfare - your opinion

Here is what im interested in: does your country give a huge or minimal expedition on social welfare, and what do you think about it?
I know that economical truth is that nothing goes free. Someone actually pays for what someone gets free. But I also see that some of the most prosper countries in the world are those that have a maximum level of social welfare, such as Sweden, Canada, Denmark, Belgium etc.

What is your opinion about it?

I think there are very many vulnerable people who are reliant on welfare and I don’t agree that it should be cut to appease the avarice of some members of the public.

5 Likes

In my country disability is the same as 100 dollars per month if I was living in USA… What can I even do with that

1 Like

This thread is actually intrigued by a story of the Croatian father who moved in Sweden and how his daughter got a free ipad, free classes of her own language and free ride to her free clasess and how is that great…and what a great country! :blush:
But then I was like…well I bet that not every Swedish citizen is happy or cares about your daughter getting limo ride to learn her native language… :thinking:

A guy with sz in my neighborhood - we are not friends but we always say hi to each other…he gets about 70$. He doesnt work and lives with his mom who is also sz.

How much is disability in the USA?

He has free meds though. Only has to check in and report his condition in the hospital every so.

Wow that is a joke I don’t see what he can even buy with that…

My expenses come to 600 dollars a month. If i dont work I’ll fade away

He can buy some cheap food and drinks. You can eat with 100- 150$ here for a month. I have no idea how he pays his bills. Maybe they get something from aside…i hope so.

Social welfare? I approve. I don’t want a mentally ill person driving a cab or becoming president. (although that happened anyway).

In usa, social services are the biggest part of the goverment budget. But the amount is the minimal amount they can give you. And it’s the same across the country. I live ok under $800 a month with food stamps, but if I lived in a city where everything is expensive, I would probably die. Which is why many people turn to crime. If I lived in Kentucky where mostly it’s just country, I’d probably have a much better quality of life.

2 Likes

Or, even worse, a school bus.

4 Likes

Or thinking they are the bus, then run into traffic going “vroom vroom, look at me I’m a school bus!”

1 Like

I support social welfare,

But the system here in the states is jacked up.

Its a mess with no real way to fix without punishing people who need it.

Everyone talks about it all the time, but offer no solution, because there is no way to make it fair for everyone.

I support welfare, and extra’s like education and here you pretty much need internet to deal with companies and government etc.

1 Like

Well…you know there are plenty shades to it. Reasonably thinking, an alcoholic would be a far worse danger.
I think everyone should have an opportunity to work according to their ability. In Denmark, if you prove that you are not able to do certain jobs, they will find you something you can rather than just put you on welfare.

4 Likes

Social Security isn’t welfare. You pay into it by working.

For me it isn’t much, so it encourages me to get an education and reenter the workforce.

1 Like

It depends upon if you have a work history. Those with a work history get more money. The more money you made in your lifetime, the more money you get in disability. Those who have made the minimum get only around $600-700 a month, I’m not quite sure what it is now.

What’s that? I mean are you referring to a system like a public health security? We got it covered for unemployed people…but only in state institutions.

Yes, it is a public health security for disabled people called: Social security disability.

1 Like

Social Security is a tax in the US. If you’ve paid enough of this tax by working, you can get Social Security Disability. I worked through school, so I paid enough to cover some of my expenses. The rest is covered by Supplemental Security Income.

I make enough to pay my primary bills: rent, electricity, and water. I also have to pay car insurance and student loans. I don’t get much, but I do okay.

1 Like