So used to living alone wouldn't know how to live with a partner

I have come to treasure my own space. No way could I live with a partner.

3 Likes

I felt that way for a long time! And tbh, when my co-person and I bought our house, we made sure we had separate living spaces we could retire to when it all got to be too much. But I love having a co-person now, wouldn’t trade her for anything.

2 Likes

When I lived alone I drove to my parents house every single day.

Now that I live with 5 roommates I feel better in my spot. Even though my roommates are sometimes young and immature (3 of them are 19 and the other 2 are 21), they really don’t know how to listen! Like they know HOW to listen, but they don’t know HOW, if that makes sense. They’re too stuck in their ways. I still enjoy their company. I’m a good listener. I take everyones opinion into account. They’re at the age they think they know everything. (Not all 19 year olds are this way, I take pride in the fact I thought I knew nothing at 19) but a lot of 19 year olds think they know EVERYTHING. When It’s not til I was 23 really I started learning ■■■■. And it wasn’t til this dang year that I really really started coming into my own. It’s easy to see their immaturities both mentally and emotionally, especially compared to the two 21 year olds. But they think they’re all that! That said I like livin with them.

1 Like

That is cool. The only person I could see myself living with is Maria Bamford. I would marry her in a heartbeat!

2 Likes

I have lived most of my life alone. At one time I wanted to share my life with someone. I met a woman, she said she accepted me for who I was. She and her daughter moved in. We got married. One of the worst decade of my life. Never want to do that again.
That being said, I would like to meet someone. That had there own home. I would go out and do more, if I had someone to do it with.

2 Likes

Aside from the times I was homeless and living in my car I’ve always lived with someone else. I don’t think I could go back to living alone. I like never feeling lonely.

1 Like

I’m only like 46 now and starting to really let people into my life. Years of therapy are starting to payoff. You never know what is around the corner. Never give up, never surrender!

1 Like

I would have a great amount of difficulty sharing the same room or apartment with someone else. It would be nice I guess to have someone around if I had a medical situation as they often release you from the hospital before you really should be and keeping my health is an imperative of mine for that reason because I foresee myself being alone for the remainder of my life. It’s not that I don’t like to visit with people occasionally though.

I’m the same. Couldn’t imagine sharing my place with anyone.

The reason it worked for my wife and I was she accepted me oddities and all. I think it would be hard to find another person like that, and trying to change now to accommodate another person would be too stressful/emotionally exhausting.

3 Likes

sometimes I wish I lived alone. but I really like the company of my brother. and I don’t think I have the ability to live on my own. or I’d probably have a rough time adapting; because a lot of my fun moments are talking with my brother who is the only real-life person I talk to a lot.

I’d prefer to be alone than with someone that wont treat me right,
if for nothing else than I’d be free when someone I was more compatable with came along.

it’s aggravating at times if you’re used to living alone. in the one experience with it i had, which only lasted six months then she moved in down the street – people who love you will surprise you – she could sense when i was at my wits end and would silently stay away from me, even drift into the spare bedroom sometimes at night.

you probably don’t remember, but years ago you told me i reminded you of a puppy when i wrote a post that . . . it included the line, “you people are probably laughing and throwing beer bottles.” it was in the early years of my illness when i didn’t feel i belonged even here, maybe 12 or 13 years back. i just wanted to thank you.