Should sz.com take a clearer stand on euthanasia for the mentally ill?

I’m deeply disturbed by recent developments on the forum. How readily many are willing to argue in favour of legalising euthanasia for the mentally ill on grounds of compassion, personal freedom and rational choice, while ignoring the social factors (poverty, lack of community support, stigma both on account of the disease and of receiving benefits and, of course, the disease itself) that shape that not-so-personal decision. Not to say on the contradictions it throws in our conceptualisation and responses to suicide and suicidal behaviour.

As expected, my post yesterday attracted the customary flags and subsequent ban. Technically speaking the post didn’t breach any community guidelines -as far as I know there is no ban on satire or arguments adopting the form of a reductio ad absurdum (whose role is show the absurdity of a proposal when pushed to its logical extreme).

However, my post was obviously offensive to some. Why? Three reasons spring to mind: 1. The ironical intent of the post was not understood or the rhetorical strategy adopted to express it was considered wanting. 2. The intent of the post was understood, but the message (the contradictions of the pro-euthanasia position) was roundly rejected. 3. In our age of instantly viral moral outrage, the sentence “Mr X claimed to an astonished audience I hate Italians” is considered racist because despite its intention of denouncing Mr X’s racism it includes the phrase “I hate Italians”, and therefore the whole sentence must be racist. (Some people are that easily offended).

I’d hope this particular post doesn’t get banned because the question needs to be asked: Is it OK for sz.com to normalise pro-euthanasia policies available to the mentally ill?

3 Likes

If you can provide a way to explain how this is going to be resolved in our life times, I’d like to hear it. Please.

That’s an extremely good point, perhaps the crux of the whole matter. In assessing the merits of euthanasia we are also assuming the systemic failures of society in dealing with those in need. A very important admission. Internalising neoliberal values and adopting the politics of despair.

I think Euthanasia is a perfectly decent thing to consider if you don’t want to live any more.

Do not think it’s fair to be brought here involuntary and not being allowed to leave off your own accord without resorting to things like overdose, hanging yourself or blowing yourself up or what ever.

Peaceful exit must be an option for anybody.

Suicide is very violent.

That sounds great but I remember you studied sociology so you know perfectly well that “not wanting to live any more” is only part of the picture. What does it mean that according to Durkheim protestants are on average more likely than Catholics to kill themselves? Human beings are not atoms brought together by some mythical social contract.

I would love to get into a Sociological debate on this, but my references are all over the place.

Nice what Psychosis and a 8 year hiatus from the subject can do to the mind of a 1st Class Sociology Hons. student!

Very sad to me, as I was pretty much the expert in my year on Classical theory

:frowning:

You can get all that back. Prognosis on the cognitive front is supposed to be better if you already acquired certain skills before becoming seriously ill.

I did nothing with my acquired knowledge, hence I am now pretty rusty.

Now I am Landscaping again, the whole exercise of studying is back to its pure motivation for me from the start - to prove I could do education well.

When I left High School, I had no qualifications, and I got a degree.

I am happy with that achievement, but that’s now in the past, and I am back to what I was doing before.

1 Like

My misgiving re euthanasia & mental illness centres round the probability of it being used by those of a certain political persuasion as an alternative to actually improving the lives of the most vulnerable.
It’s a regressive not progressive step.

The question of neoliberal values is, of course, an important one to those of us who are politically minded, but not one suitable for discussion here.

3 Likes

You’re right of course about not discussing neoliberal values but what interested me in this case is to expose the pious myth that freedom means the same thing regardless of your socioeconomic status.

Why are you saying you were banned? The last time you were suspended was in 2020.

1 Like

Not me, my previous post against euthanasia. It simply disappeared so I’m assuming it got clipped.

Probably. But saying a “subsequent ban” Makes it look like we banned you. Which didn’t happen.

2 Likes

If you have a problem with a topic or an argument, put it on the original post, flag the post, or ignore it.

I get your stance. I do.

And I am pretty sure the staff are just as against euthanasia for MI as you are. But people can debate it. Personally, I don’t like to see it.

1 Like

I am also personally very against euthenasia for the mentally ill. It sickens me. I dont like the topic being on here, because it seems to trigger suicidal thoughts.

3 Likes

But just because we don’t like it, doesn’t mean we will close it. Not unless it gets a lot of flags. It’s a discussion that is important. Maybe someone for euthanasia can be swayed to give up the idea. You never know.

2 Likes

Exactly. Our personal opinions have very little to do with how we run the site.

1 Like

It seems to me if mental illness is weighted in its suffering the same way a physical illness can be, then why would euthanasia be taken off the table? A doctor has to sign off on euthanasia as well as legal requirements being met for that jurisdiction. The one thing that I can see as a variable is the possibility that a person with serious mental illness can be successfully treated, as opposed to, say. someone with ALS with 6 months to live. I take no personal stance on euthanasia for the mentally ill, just throwing some ideas out there.

1 Like

I hope so it’s true that people can be persuaded.

1 Like