Schizophrenia vs schizoaffective

I wonder what the biological differences are? Schizophrenia is pretty well researched with a lot of info on underlying biological processes. Schizoaffective is not. When it even is looked at it tends to be lumped in with schizophrenia despite being a completely different disorder with a different prognosis. Anyone have any info on this?

I am well aware of symptomatic differences, I have just never seen info on schizoaffective biological workings/causes that wasn’t based on research done on schizophrenic people.

I know when I worked with schizoaffective vs schizophrenic patients when I was a nurse the difference was night and day. Schizoaffective people tended to be high functioning and generally presented as normal until you started asking them about delusions and whatnot. Schizophrenics were sick sick. Extremely paranoid or totally delusional or totally flat/unresponsive. I have schizoaffective & have always been aware when people would find certain beliefs of mine “crazy.” The schizophrenics I worked with didn’t seem to possess that same capability. I wonder what underlying brain processes result in that.

4 Likes

SZA has a much better prognoses than SZ. The people I have seen with SZ are less functioning then SZA.

I just wonder why. Both disorders have imbalances with dopamine. Does this mean schizoaffective is simply a “less severe” form of schizophrenia? However how is it less severe when it has mood symptoms and sz does not? Confusing.

1 Like

I think people have this preconceived idea that SZA is much worse than SZ then SZA because it has bipolar and SZ in it… But SZ is worse, it has flat effect which is much worse. SZ affects your emotions more.

SZA is diagnosed when you have symptoms of schizophrenia, and bipolar. It could be better or worse depending on which symptoms you get. The key is that in SZA, you have schizophrenia episodes and bipolar episodes but they aren’t linked together.

I disagree. I think that sza affects your emotions more with the wide mood swings. But I still agree with you that somehow sz is more severe than sza.

1 Like

I’m not really trying to argue which is worse when they are both terrible. I want to understand if schizoaffective is the same disorder as schizophrenia just on a spectrum, like aspergers and autism. For example perhaps people with schizoaffective get diagnosed with mood disorders bc we are having ordinary mood reactions to the psychosis we experience whereas sz on the more severe end of the psychotic disorder spectrum experiences the negative symptoms and flat affect way more so they don’t have those mood symptoms or perhaps simply don’t display them in the same way that would be displayed by someone with sza.

3 Likes

I was once BP mixed affective state. Since my SZA diagnosis this isn’t recognised now. Does the mean the SZA is worse than the mixed affective state?

1 Like

“Ordinary mood reactions to the psychosis”,

This makes a lot of sense @Anna

1 Like

Yes. 1515151515

I am diagnosed sz. 10 years and counting. Never experienced mood disorders. Had 3 full blown psychotic episodes and several periods of instability in-between.

I’ve gradually gained insight (during my third episode I somehow “knew” that voices were hallucinations and that thinking car fronts look like demon faces was a silly delusion) and have reclaimed much of my previous functions. I am now stable, work part-time a mentally demanding job and I generally feel ok, bar some social anxiety and low energy.

I don’t buy into the assumption that sz is permanent / irreversible. Although I haven’t done anything out of the ordinary, one thing that maybe sets me apart is my unshakeable belief in recovery. Even at my worst, suicidal and whatnot, my language (speech) didn’t express defeat, it only conveyed sadness and pain.

After failing to find a CBT practitioner in my area, I’ve tried to steel myself and keep a close watch on my thoughts and words. I replaced “I can’t” with “It’s hard but not impossible”, “I hate myself” with “I can change until I no longer hate myself” etc. (Btw, hating oneself is abnormal and very detrimental). It seems to have paid off.

I hope my story may inspire others who are now struggling to keep looking, keep exploring the options and to believe in themselves more. Of course, take meds as prescribed - I do the same.

4 Likes

SZA is like schizophrenia lite, but with PMS.

:grin:

5 Likes

What, no head explosions yet?

Slow day here.

1 Like

Both schizophrenia and bipolar run on a spectrum of sorts.

Schizoaffective disorder lies in the middle between both SZ and bipolar.

Some people will present themselves as having more bipolar symptoms like myself and others will present themselves with having more SZ symptoms.

Schizophrenia is usually a more profound disease than SZA.

2 Likes

pms how dare you thats sexist! :smile:

1 Like

@shutterbug
Hammer On Head Minions GIF - Hammer On Head Minions ...

ban hammer

3 Likes

Lol lol . Accurate

Some people gotta have their laughs. And somehow sza always gets the wrong end of the stick.

@Bowens @Moonbeam I request this thread to be closed down.

Flat affect can be overcome and you can get back to positive emotions. It’s a lot of work, but it’s possible.

Flat affect is NOT worse. I’ve had that too. Depressed, suicidal emotions are worse in my book.

But really, I’m not here to say what’s worse and what isn’t. It’s all bad.

1 Like