Schizophrenia and suicide

Why do schizophrenics commit suicide? I understand suicidality from a schizoaffective bipolar depression point of view but I’m curious what the mind set is in a schizophrenic.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Maybe the feeling of wanting to get rid of all the ailments, or the intense feeling that one is an obsolete burden

5 Likes

If you can’t handle all the schizophrenia mess you may commit suicide. My attempt was the result of compulsion. I just did it for no reason.

5 Likes

Because of stress and worthlessness. …

God save the queen…!!!

I was very suicidal before now i am good…!!

Plz dont commit suicide. . We are a present of god…!! Love urself and love ur family. . Plz😈

6 Likes

I remember this one time I had a voice pop into my head that urged me to take all my medicine, I did and then stood there laughing about it. Luckily my husband noticed what I had done and took me to the ER, but it was a close call. I guess that was the sz part of sza coming out. All the other attempts were depression related imo.

Depression, voices, hopelessness, med resistance…

3 Likes

So schizophrenics suffer from depression like a sza does? Is it different than bipolar depression?

I have no idea what the difference is but it’s possible to have both depression and sz.

2 Likes

Everyone can get depressions.
I tried to commit suicide because I thought I would never be able have a good life. I don’t think I was depressed.

3 Likes

I guess I don’t see that much difference between sz and sza. We seem to be in the same boat. The same scary, rocking, little boat.

2 Likes

The lines are blurry all the way from sz to bipolar. But strictly speaking, sz depressions are situational and any manic-like symptoms are caused by psychosis and not the other way around.

2 Likes

oh that’s a good way of looking at it

2 Likes

According to this article there doesn’t seem to be one factor that in and of itself causes people with schizophrenia to commit suicide:

4 Likes

perpetual repetitive boredom… everyday feels the same no matter how different they actually are… for some reason that bothers me…

6 Likes

Hopelessness, evil voices that can persuade you to kill yourself for your family, bad positive symptoms that you can’t deal with, depression…

3 Likes

I made a serious attempt on my life way back when, simply because I had enough of the mind numbing misery that would never be any different.

3 Likes

Almost all schizophrenics have depression
These days it is recignised by all docs

2 Likes

I am not depress, just sometimes my mood is lowering to a depressive state

3 Likes

Yes x
That’s depression
Lack of joy is bad enough

2 Likes

My son committed suicide. He was paranoid sz. He said in his suicide note that he was growing older and not getting anywhere in his life (he was only 30 years old). He said he was worried about losing his hair (he had a head full of thick, dark brown to black hair). I say he was delusional. He had this strange delusion that the world was going to end soon. Maybe he was trying to beat that date, we will never know. All I know is that he is gone now.

6 Likes