Schizophrenia and hearing voices and ect therapy to remove voices

I have had been diagnosed with schizophrenia 13 yrs ago when I was just 27, my mind has been in a stupper and now that I am 41 I need to get better I have tried meds and they don’t get rid of the voices. So I am now going to try shock therapy treatment to help with depression and the voices I hope. Its hell being forced to live with voices in your head it messes you up pretty bad. I can barely function it seems I have lost everything because of this. Is there any advice to getting the shock therapy or if anyone has had good results in shocking the voices out of there head

3 Likes

I am really sorry you are going through this… I wish you get better.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting ect for some compulsive behaviors I have. I have seen ect do a lot of good on people who were profoundly depressed. I tried to get my pdoc to give it to me, but he refused. Keep us posted on how yours goes if you decide to get it.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re having such a rough time. @HulGil has had ECT, and I believe it was successful for them.

3 Likes

Thankyou for all the support, I am in the process now on getting a consult
and then I get the treatments. I will keep you updated to tell all how it
hopefully has helped me.

2 Likes

Please keep us up to date. I have been treated for my voices and none of the meds they have been giving me worked. I have been thinking about asking to have a ECT done on me as a last resort since my Psychiatrist is thinking there isn’t much of any medications left to try that will work for me.

1 Like

My meds are’ not working either, may I ask what kind of voices are they?
Are they ordinary voices that you can make out clearly? Mine are.

1 Like

I know of someone who had a really bad experience with ECT because their memory got damaged . They were not able to recall anything that happened during the 3 month period of ECT treatments (did not even remember they stayed in a the hospital for 3 months). After the ECT therapy stopped, the person had trouble with short term memory (would walk to doctor’s office and not remember how to get home). After 1 year or so, the severe short term memory issues stopped, but the person still had memory issues while reading books, they were not able to recall much of what was in the book. Maybe you will have a better experience with ECT, but I would try to do as much research as possible before trying it.

1 Like

I am still researching it and will ask alot of questions at my consult, its
just my brain issues have caused me to lose everything and I cannot
function as a normal adult until I rid myself of the voices and the
paranoia that goes with them. I cannot even work. Its been like I have
been in a prison since it started when I was 27 now being 41. Its the last
resort I suppose meds won’t work.

2 Likes

my dad’s cousin was forced to get ECT therapy. she had a lot of problems already but the ECT made things worse. I just remember she always seemed lost and confused. but according to my dad her temperament got better for a few months after wards but after the affect of it wore off she was 10 times worse

2 Likes

@Ninjastar @crazyk, Yes, I got ECT for treatment resistant schizoaffective disorder. I was cycling through mania and severe depression even on a ton of medication. I had tried a bunch of meds, none were working, and I actually have a genetic metabolism abnormality so a lot of meds physically CAN’T work for me. Everyone agreed that I was a suicide risk, so I got ECT after a few months of going through legal processes since I am the youngest person in my county to ever receive it (I was 16 at the time, 17 now).

I believe it permanently altered my brain for the better. I have not heard voices at all since my 13th treatment which was five months ago. My depression was gone at my 6th treatment. It’s really strange actually, not to hear voices. It was very effective, I just simply don’t hear them anymore! It’s amazing.

I also did not experience any long-term memory side effects. It was really a miracle treatment for me.

6 Likes

Im just hoping that it can shock the hell out of whatever is causing my
voices and such

I would just talk to the doctors about this if this is the right method for you. my dad’s cousin didn’t have a choice.

I can make them out clearly most of the time. I hear them in my tinnitus clearly most of the time till they get to low to hear. I hear voices clearly in white noise and passing vehicles or vehicles on the high way in the distance along with my fan I have running.

Wow sounds great I am happy for you. I was very hopeful that only one treatment would do it for me, kind of scared of even getting one let alone many. Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

It usually takes at least 6 to work.

1 Like

tDCS might also be an option, it seems to have fewer side effects.

I’d like to try it, but I haven’t been able to yet.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/845979

Oops that one is on cognition, here’s one on voices

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1388245716306800

great Im already scared that I won’t wake up from the first one. But whatever works. thanks

@SurprisedJ had it and it got rid of his voices. I can only imagine everybody’s experience will be different though.

Also, the person has not been able to return to work since ECT (5 years ago) because they could not learn the new material issued at the company due to the memory problems.