Saying Goodbye To A Old Friend

My dog Hey-U first came to live with me over ten years ago. He was wandering around when he decided to stay with me. He was about one year old at that time.
He got lymphoma cancer and started treatment. Last Tuesday morning I let him out to run, like I have done hundreds of times before. When he came back at 3:30 A.M. I knew something was wrong. He had got ahold of something that poison him. I took him to the animal hospital and he spent three nights there. They saved his life, but there maybe permanent neurologic damage.
Friday I brought him home with the hope that once he was here he could start to recover. He can’t get up. He still insist on going out to potty. I carry him out and put him down and he crawls over to where the grass is tall, because that is where he was taught to go to the potty at.
If he can’t get up that is no life for him. He is my hunter and laying around all day because he can’t stand up would not be a good life for him.
I left a message for the Vet. to call me, and will take him there one more time to say goodbye.
Today is a sad day for me and tears are forming in my eyes
I can not write anymore.

8 Likes

I am a glad you and Hey-U are best friends.

1 Like

I’m so sorry Hey-U is struggling and this hard decision is being made.

I’m sending hugs and lots of sympathy and condolences.

Sorry you have to go through this… it’s never easy.

2 Likes

@ridgerunner my heart breaks for you, a dog is mans best friend. There are simply no words for your loss, I am so sorry.

5 Likes

@Ridgerunner I am so sorry for your loss - I am tearing just thinking about it. Sometimes its best to let a pet go.
I made the tough decision to put my best friend to sleep, because he had advanced terminal cancer and he was suffering.
I have a new dog now, and although he will never replace my old dog, I love him very much.
I consider him my new best friend - life does go on after the loss of a pet, you will eventually heal - but I do know that it hurts

1 Like

I talk to the Vet. The longer he goes like this the less hope she has. But she thinks we should give Hey-U a couple of more days. So that is what I’m going to do. I will be staying home to nurse Hey-U with the hope that he will start showing some improvement. Right now Hey-U is laying on a dog bed near my feet sleeping. He seems to want to be close to me.
This is not the first time I went through something like this. I had many pets in the past and have three other dogs now.

4 Likes

I send all my strength to you @Ridgerunner and wish peace in life and after for your friend. What a hard decision it is to make.

2 Likes

I am sorry. Prayers to you and Hey-u OOO

Man Im sorry about Hey-u. Thats horrible. My prayers are with you!

Thats terrible that happened he’s in my prayers.

Hey-U almost stood up today. Than he fell down, but that is a improvement. We can always hope for the best.

1 Like

I hope things work out. Dogs are the best.

1 Like

gosh I hope he gets better ! so sorry to hear about your dog, ridgerunner. I know you are hurting. I will pray for you and your dog Hey U.

1 Like

This afternoon I had to leave for several hours. When I got back Hey-U was in the same spot that he was in when I left. I took him outside for a potty break, and he got up and stagger like a drunken sailor. I know what that is like. Been there done that. He fell over a couple of times. And I had to help him into the house. But that is a improvement. This is not over yet.

1 Like

I know you hope it… but I also hope your amazing friend pulls through and recovers from this.

Thank you for the update… I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck and best of hope for you and Hey-U.

1 Like

Good luck with him, I hope he survives.

1 Like

I am sorry. It is hard to lose a pet you’ve had a long time. I still miss my last Shepard Dylan and it has been a few years. Good for you too for doing right by him with the medical care.

1 Like