Rexulti insomnia

I started rexulti september 19th so almost a week ago now. Every other night I have trouble sleeping. And again tonight i’m wide awake.

Just wondering if anyone knows about this? I had this problem with abilify then I started trazodone and ended up sleeping way better.

Should I wait it out or should I ask for trazodone?

Brex is known to cause insomnia and you’re probably having with withdrawal from olanzapine also. Easiest solution is just to break up some olanzapine, idk about your tolerance but 2.5mg should do the trick. Depends how bad you sleep quality is, you can’t go on like that forever sleep deprivation will also cause psychosis or paranoia at least. To be honest if you’re having trouble sleeping on brex then I would give it a good trial maybe like a month or so then swap if you still having issues. It’s never to early to take corrective action but likewise it takes months to tease out the full effects of a new medication and properly stabilise on it. It doesn’t hurt to ask but trust yourself, you know yourself best, side effects, what is causing what

Unfortunately am out of olanzapine. Is there any sort of difference between say melatonin and trazodone? I feel like trazodone would be more powerful and effective, but if there is no difference then i’ll gladly stick it out with no trazodone

They are vastly different and completely different classes of medication. No two drugs are the same even with the same class they all have unique action. Just as no two antipsychotics are the same. It is not the same as drinking one beer vs a different tasting beer. You’re not going to get the same effects with different drugs.

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to explain how your medications work. You can google mechanism of action for any of your medications. It might seem a bit complicated but if you keep learning you start to build up a picture. Because medication is basically the only solution we have right now I think it’s pretty instrumental to know how it works. Side effect profiles are often not good with any MH drugs really

Thank you for the responses Gamma, you are very insightful. I always appreciate your replies.

I’m without a doctor at the moment. I’m waiting to see one in mid october so i’m on my own until then.

Aw thanks Bagul, that’s nice of you to say. Likewise I have a lot to learn from others.

To be honest sleepers as a collective relm of medication really aren’t the best. I’m of the opinion they are best avoided if at all possible. You eventually build up tolerance to all of them so you have to increase the dose and most of them have addictive properties so then you never come off them. The half life of the medications can be long so still wake up with them in your system and feeling groggy. They slow you down mentally and they’re just not great all round. Melatonin and magnesium are the best of them but just not very effective. Still worth a try if you haven’t before. If you can get away with just taking those two then you’re doing well.