Representative payee cost

SS determined I need a payee although I have no idea why. Anyway, my husband is my payee. But if something ever happened to him I’d have to pay someone to do it. Does anyone know the cost of paying someone to do it?

I don’t know how much it would be to have a paid Rep Payee. My psychiatric care provider was my Rep Payee until my case manager decided I could handle it myself, and he made me my own payee. I really didn’t have to worry about something happening to my care provider.

1 Like

I worry about everything all the time. Like I was told I could request being my own payee but SS office told me I have to have my doctor fill out a form saying I’m doing better. If my dr says I’m better that will trigger a review and I could lose my disability even though I’m scared to leave my house

Well it didn’t trigger a review when I because my own payee. I’ve been reviewed every 2 to 3 years and haven’t had my benefits cancelled. If you’re disabled due to schizophrenia, I don’t think Social Security gives it a second thought. I’ve been on disability since 2008.

2 Likes

When I went in I had a letter from my case manager saying my psychiatric care provider thought I was capable of managing my own money. I really haven’t done a good job with managing my own. I’m in debt now where I wasn’t with a rep payee. My sister thinks I should go back to having one. The letter didn’t say I’ve gotten better. Just I could handle my own money.

1 Like

Typo. Doesn’t give it a second thought.

1 Like

Now I’m not reading posts correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know how it went for you @anon54988740

I’m my own payee. No one told me I had to have one. I manage my money pretty well. I haven’t been reviewed yet.

2 Likes

@Sheryl I manage my money fine too. My dr said she didn’t recommend I have a representative payee and has no idea why they decided I needed one.

I had a paid, representative payee once and she turned out to be a major con artist, sham. She was ripping a lot of people off. I don’t trust anyone anymore to handle my money. I do it all myself now and I’m not too bad at it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.