Renting a room

Hi Guys, idk if you remember me talking about me renting my room out a while ago and how i loved having people stay over and things,

well i want to do it again and i have updated my online account, i am hoping that i can just ignore my neighbours because as far as i am concerned i am doing nothing wrong, nothing should stop me from having friends stay over occasionally in my opinion, i have also done some research and it looks sound, it was just my landlord got the wrong impression and my neighbours complaining because of people coming to my door which is stupid because they should respect my right of access to my property,

i am going to get more advice about this today but i think i am in the right and hopefully it should be ok.

3 Likes

Where I live you can get a room for 500 a month. Apartments one bedroom cost at least 1k a month unless you want to live in the ghetto.

1 Like

Most likely your rental contract does not allow subletting without the landlord’s permission.

1 Like

its not subletting though i’m just having friends to stay now and again lol

If you are getting paid it’s a sublet

1 Like

then i’ll do it for free :slight_smile:

That’s ok then.

1 Like

Got to get rid of your online account too

well i’m not doing that, they’ll have to evict me

Your online is evidence that you’re breaking the contract. Evict you is definately something they can do.

2 Likes

Yeah,

I don’t think you’re allowed to sublet like that.

Even if you aren’t expecting money,

You’re still allowing people that are not on the lease into the home for extended times,

That can get you evicted.

Its not worth the risk, especially if your neighbors are problematic.

3 Likes

Hey, @Resilient1 - since your landlord has already said no, you risk eviction if you start doing this again.

I know from experience that you have strong feelings about what should be allowed, but it’s the landlord who makes the rules, not you. In any dispute between the two of you, he will win.

3 Likes

@Resilient1, you should really read your lease. Most leases have a rule in the contract saying you can’t have people stay over more than so many days per week or month. If you do this, you risk being evicted. If you are evicted, it will be a black mark on your record and you will have a difficult time getting anyone else to accept you as a tennent in the future. I know you don’t think it’s fair, but that is the law. You signed a contract, and you need to follow it or risk homelessness.

2 Likes

i’m doing it anyway, i’ve made my decision, i went to the advice centre today and they said i am allowed to have friends staying so that is what i am going to do, it is more for the company than anything else, i was told if the neighbours complain or the landlord says anything about it that i’ve to get it written down on paper and take it to them, i’m just hoping it will be ok (praying it will be ok) i trust in God to protect me no matter what anyway :slight_smile:

it is none of my neighbours business who i let into my flat anyway so they can ■■■■ off haha

There is a difference between letting friends stay occasionally and letting someone live with you. If someone is living with you, you could get evicted for breaking your contract.

1 Like

no=one would be living with me, it would be a few days at the most per week (probably wouldnt be as frequent as that), i make friends online and invite them to stay :slight_smile: its as simple as that.

Is that through couchsurfing?

its not but that was mentioned at the advice centre but i wouldnt be allowed for them to stay too long or they would be seen as residing, it is a great site and it covers everything really x

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.