Relying on others too much, anyone else out there?

I used to be very independent, I have been all my life, but recently my schizophrenia got worse…I mean a lot worse and I found myself clinging to others to maintain any selfcontrol or moments of peace. I didn’t want that to happen but I don’t know how to get on my own two feet again. Any ideas?

I rely on my parents.

35 age

single

That you trust enough to cling is a good sign. So often, szs go off on our own and get into big trouble.

3 Likes

Hmmm.

Definitely don’t use drugs.

How long have you been sick? What is your schizophrenia like?

Medication, therapy, lifestyle.

Well…I’m on several antipsychotics but I don’t know the names. My mom won’t let me see the bottles because I had a problem with ODing for a long time. My dad won’t let me go to therapy. My life style is based all around working. I’ve had schizophrenia since before I can remember but I wasn’t officially diagnosed til I was 18.

Hmmm. What kind of work do you do?

I’m a waitress and a concierge:) I’m a complete workaholic.

That’s awesome that you can work.

I’d focus on just trying to live the life you want. Something with upward trajectory. There will be good times and bad times, but that is true for most everyone.

Stick around, we’ll always be here to talk. There is a lot you can learn by participating here.

Thank you, I will try to do my best.

I was kinda feeling like that at one time as im living in my ma’s apartment for free but then im stuck here because of her so that really takes the guilt off of me.

You wouldn’t believe it ,im currently stuck in this twilight zone community with telepathic aliens that are probably satanic all though im still not sure on the last point.

It could be that the planet that they are from doesn’t know anything about satan so they can’t tell when they are doing his bidding.

WOw sounds scary there. Where is this community? What country?

Like I says the twilight zone, we are now communicating from different dimensions, I guess you get internet access in any dimension.

Would be tons of book on dealing with codependency. Probably could do with dealing with it more myself.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that… therapy sure did help me relearn my anger management… coping… stress management… and other things that made it easier for me to get through my day on less meds… I hope you can ask him why he won’t let you go.

For a long time… I relied on others a lot… I’ve gotten on my feet more… but it was a long process…

be patient with yourself… you will get to your goals… it just might take a little longer.

As far as tips… or ideas… You might want to talk to your pdoc about how to start self management and what might be a good start.

Good luck… :v:

1 Like

I’m scared of living alone which I will be doing soon. Last time I was living alone I just sat in my room all day doing nothing and I don’t want to go back to that. I rely too much on others but it’s very difficult for me to do things when no one else expects things to get done. IDK how it will go but I hope my teams expectations of me and good routines will help me.

I think I’d like to live alone, yet I would have to schedule shopping trips, eating out, parties, and phone calls…and eMails…which I would not like (the scheduling).

1 Like

I did better at it before the onset.

1 Like

I rely on the government and my parents. If I could not rely on my parents I think we’d all be better off. I signed up for government housing a few months ago; should take like 5 years to get it. Then I would be completely independent, ignoring the government benefits.

1 Like

I depended on my mother when she was alive. Finally, at 40, I got married and my wife and I had a child. Now I am living with my stepfather, being supported financially by him and my brother and sister. Full circle. Getting there. I’m 78. We have to stay connected to the world and the people in it. Family is the best. Schizophrenia is an unpredictable disease. You never know when you are going to lose control. Endorse yourself for knowing when to turn to others. Psychosis comes on suddenly and it takes a long time to recover.

2 Likes