Religious Delusions (Psychiatrist beliefs)

Scripture says a lot of things that are out of date with what we know as true today.

Well, yeah.

But jumping up out of the paradigmatic box that always frames these shouting matches:

Extreme dichotomism and stereotypy tend to appear quickly. Those who believe in either authoritarian scientism or authoritarian religion seem to need to do so because such belief provides a comforting dose of pseudo-security. (The key words here are “extreme” and “authoritarian” – vs. “moderate” and “empirical” – I suppose.)

The true believers (desperately) neeeeeeeeeeeed their beliefs.

But, I’ve got my fire suit on, and I’m yawning already, anyway.

(BTW, I can be guilty as charged for slipping into temporary belief in authoritarian scientism. Sigh.)

The thing I most love about science is that it is true whether people believe in it or not.

Facts are facts, like 'em or not. (I am willing to have them modified as new evidence appears, however. 75% of the “industry” was just sure that sz was 100% genetic back in 1985, including moi. Now it’s about 25%, but they are still hard core. Sigh.)

Regarding the topic, I have read that there are people who have auditory hallucinations and are not schizophrenic. Where they are I do not know, I have never met one hah. Maybe it’s just not something to talk about. As far as religious delusions, it seems that delusions of grandeur are closely tied to religion. I have experienced some myself during some bouts of psychosis, they are quite embarrassing to recollect now hah There is a correlation to delusions and religious beliefs. I do not necessarily mean that religion is a delusion in itself. What I do feel though is that delusions of grandeur seem to appear because of a subconscious want to know or be able to feel something others do not. Not everyone who experiences delusions of grandeur has a superiority complex but many do. During my days in a psych ward I have met people who thought they were God, Jesus, a prophet, a shaman or even Lucifer. I have even given the idea of possession some thought. Ultimately though, they are delusions of grandeur. It may stem from feeling like an outcast or low self worth bringing a person’s mental state to subconsciously find a reason why they are special. The literal meaning of prophet is more or less someone who professes their faith. In that form there may be prophets today. I don’t have a problem with that, but usually people who call themselves prophets try to impose their beliefs or pretend to know something others simply cannot and that I do have a problem with (specifically trying to impose a belief system). It is akin to the feeling of superiority that may arise from delusions of grandeur. The idea that they are better than the rest somehow bothers me a bit. A psychiatrist I had was also Hindu, he believed in reincarnation. He never directly stated that he felt we had memories of a past life but he implied it though he did speak on his belief in reincarnation. It is strange because during my first hospitalization about 8 or so years ago when I awoke after having taken one of those go-to-sleep injections to the butt cheek I woke and yelled a phrase I was not familiar with, for some reason it stuck in my mind as if my very soul was told them. I even had a meaning for them. It may have sounded like blabber but years later I did a google search of them. It turns out they were Hebrew words. The meaning I felt for them was similar to the definition I found for each word on its own. I do not know Hebrew. My logic is that I must have heard that phrase sometime in my youth though I sincerely do not remember nor had I ever said it. Whatever the case, those words bring me comfort from time to time. I do find these things interesting though when I ask myself why these things happen.

You seem very psychodynamically oriented…I think that genes must be present and that the environmental factors merely catalyze or trigger earlier onset. There is a clear genetic component- it runs in my family. But the ■■■■ that happened to me as a kid and adolescent and young adult did not help at all, except instill self-discipline and a thirst for knowledge. Kinda weird, I am 100% ■■■■■■ up if you take those two traits away from me.

No , thinking God has spoken to you does not make you necessarily schiz , what makes a person schiz is the part where individuals become so irrational that they can not function or coexist with other folks

All powerful being of love who made earth.

Doesn’t exist.

I saw the dark book during psychosis, it was very dark this book, swelling up from the depths of horrendously strong psychopathy. All lies this book.

Who could make a man wrong and then give him rules that are the opposite of what he is? And then judge him for breaking the rules? This isn’t the case although they’d like us to think so.

This is the work of the dark side and they rule it, always did. I wonder if the beings of love even know we are here.

I don’t know about that. My son was paranoid schizophrenic and he was usually always rational. He coexisted with me and with the people at his group home, and he functioned quite well. He worked a part time job, he took the city bus to his job, he was responsible for assisting with cooking and cleaning and yard work. He managed his own finances, with the help of a conservator. The only times he ever became irrational were when he was trying to kill himself. And those times, unfortunately, were many.

“Jesus told me to-” *put in headlock, citizen’s arrest. THIS IS SOVIET RUSSIA!!! YOU’RE IN HEADLOCK, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW!!!

but seriously, think twice before doing what voices in your head tell you to do. I mean come on. I asked a religious studies professor about voices telling people to kill people meant. He said that’s Satan. I had a hard time with that class but I made an A. I mean come on…ask a psych professor (my major) that question and prepare for the words “psychotic” or “schizophrenia” and ■■■■ about dopamine, glutamate and serotonin being all wrong and drugs which cause upregulation of dopamine receptors or some ■■■■ ■■■■ its so confusing.

They cause (pulls up powerpoint lecture from three years ago) ■■■■ im reading notes and a powerpoint hold on

this is how bad the science is- I cannot understand my own notes.

Relgion and science are oil and water. Pick one or the other to use at once. Dont put oil and water in your gas tank. Fuel your mind with one or the other. What kind of idiot drinks oil instead of water