How many here are atheists?

I’m an atheist. I was wondering if being religious affects the types of delusions people with schizophrenia develope. Or,“thoughts that others would consider delusional” if you will.

I was always an atheist except during my psychotic break when I thought I was god… then I believed in myself. But first I believed in god, surrendered myself to his wishes because I thought I was fighting demons… anyhoo, I wasn’t, it was all in my head. Thank god (me?) for medication…
Now I’m an atheist again. So yeah.

1 Like

I was an atheist before sz now I’m a believer in God…for a variety of reasons, delusions, faith, etc…

Take that as you will

2 Likes

Anyhoo…

Taking a page out of sleepoptimistics book huh :wink:

1 Like

I do believe there is an energy in the universe… some positive and negative that keeps it all in check.

but I don’t hold with religion.

3 Likes

AnY-HoO :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, me too, that’s why I’m inclined to eastern philosophies. But religion is a no-no for me.

1 Like

If we speak about Richard Dawkins’s atheism, then I don’t want to be atheist even if that was the last thing to hold onto.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve always thought that being an atheist forced all of my “psychotic thoughts” to be somewhat realistic. By that I mean they always involve things that are within the limits of current technology, within the abilities of humans to do etc. I find it interesting that your illness temporarily made you a believer. Even if it was in yourself.

1 Like

Don’t blame all atheism to one single apple in the tree. I don’t know the guy, but don’t do thaaaaaaaat :pouting_cat:

1 Like

Richard Dawkins atheism is just like everyone else’s. What he does is not sugar coat his thoughts for fear of offending the religious. I think that this comes across as hateful to people who are insecure in their beliefs.

Well he is pretty much an atheistic idol, if I can use such oxymoron.
Well, I’m gnostic anyways.

Yeah, I find it interesting too. I was like, I was living all these experiences that led me to the belief I was actually god. Hearing prayers, signs from the universe, things that happened, hallucinations of things that were happening. People around me didn’t know how to react, and said things that were aligned with my delusions so I kept recieving confirmations of it… It was stressful.

1 Like

Gnosticism is really interesting. I took a course on it for a while there. Cool.

1 Like

I like one of those jokes about Dawkins. " if you don’t believe in God, why do you hate him so much?" :smile:

1 Like

That’s my position. So many Christians talk about how sinful, shameful, and unworthy they are, and I am thinking, “My God, man. Who did you rape? Who did you kill?” Because if you haven’t done something like that, you aren’t shameful. You’re not unworthy. Do they think we all were we all just born low lifes with no value, and that it take infinite mercy for God to tolerate us?

1 Like

It does seem like, to me anyway, when one is delusional that every piece of new information seems to confirm the delusion. I’m glad you’re back in reality. For the most part.

In Minnie’s name, Amen :joy:

1 Like

I’m not an atheist, I wear a cross around my neck and on my finger.
I like to believe in jesus and christianity, I grew up going to sunday school. The whole religious drama is too much to deal with anyway and I would never sing in a choir or go to prayer meetings.

I rarely go to church and light a candle but I pray sometimes at night. The way my life has been and the circumstances, it somehow amazes me because it’s almost like everything was planned, I’ve had a very bizarre life the way things worked out. I almost believe that everything happens for a reason.

During my psychosis though, I too believed I was god, then jesus, then an archangel, then mother of harlots then some satan like beings……… :o)

4 Likes

I’m not trying to be a Dawkins apologist. But he would say he hates the idea of God

1 Like

And I would ask him: why do you make a profit from something you hate? :))

1 Like