Recommend me an AP to switch to

Hi, so Im currently on haloperidol without any side effects but im unable to work. The best worked Invega, but it stopped working for me and I relapsed. I tried quetiapine but it gives me akathisia and is a torturous med for me. What could you reccomend to me using this info? Anyone tried for example risperidone and went to olanzapine or clozapine felt much better? Or someone who was on haldol and went on amisulpride and also felt better? I am planning soon to get hospitalized for med change, cause my current psychiatrist is really ill and i have been trying to reach her for 3 months without any success

3 Likes

What exactly was your experience with Invega? Could you please give us more details? What dosage, and under what circumstances the relapse occurred.

1 Like

I was on Xeplion 75mg, which is like 120~mg of Invega. It worked well for a year, but then i startrd to have random delusion and paranoia episodes, i usually took xanax and would go away. One day after work I was smoking ans out of the blue i developed a full blown psychosis and was hospitalized for 2 months. I was able to work on Invega and study at university. I am contemplating on returning on it for bigger dose, but i am afraid to relapse again. My pdoc said that invega wasnt meant for me after the relapse

2 Likes

The most effective med for me so far has been Fanapt. No discernible EPS and barely any negative symptoms.
A big part of my recovery over the years has been avoiding all street drugs and very limited alcohol intake, a stable living environment, and proper nutrition. As well as being in a 20 year relationship with a very stable GF who has been incredibly supportive. And enough experience with illness to be med-compliant for about 18 years. Talk to your new doctor, he or she can most likely make a well-educated recommendation as to the best treatment for you, based on your symptoms and past experiences with other meds you’ve tried.
Every med has been different for me in regards to efficacy and side effects, as well as negative effects.
Hope this helps and good luck! Don’t give up, you will eventually find the best treatment for you.

2 Likes

My experience is different. I was first put on amisulpride and it was very efficient but it also gave me severe akathisia. Then switched to risperidone which made me almost faint and messed with my heart rate. Eventually I opted for abilify and so far it has proven a wonderful AP for me. I did relapse when I stopped taking it for a while and I also went through a depressive episode that was stress related (too much workload and a failed relationship). But overall abilify has saved my butt.
However abilify and invega are somewhat similar so I don’t know what to say.

2 Likes

I take Saphris and Rexulti together and they work pretty darn good. The rexulti gives you energy during the day and the Saphris helps you fall asleep at night.

3 Likes

I took Abilify for a while but I switched meds because of akathesia.
I did at one point try Propranolol for my akathesia and it was the only med I ever took for that that actually worked for me @Andrey.
At first I took it as a PRN, but I found that once the akathesia hit, it required very large doses to calm me down. My doctor, who is now retired, advised taking a fairly low dose of 10 mg twice a day and so far it has worked very well for me.

2 Likes