Schizophrenia.com

Reading books and novels

I love to read
I read book after book.
I always admire such great talent that there is out there when books are written some of them are true genius

7 Likes

I like reading books, but with my attention span/concentration issues I can only read a little bit at a time.

What sort of books do you like?

I take my reading in binges. Lately I have been reading short stories. You’re right, the artistry in much of today’s writing is breathtaking.

1 Like

I’ll read anything as long as it’s a good story…Right now I’ve started two books actually well 3 really. 11/22/63 by Stephen King about a man who goes back in time to try and stop the Kennedy assassination. (horror/sci-fiction)

The second is called Alpha by Jasinda Wilder which is a cross between beauty and the beast and 50 shades of gray. (Romance/Erotic fantasy)

The third is a book on a program I bought a while ago to help with my writing called Writing a Novel with Scrivener by David Hewson (non-fiction/educational)

The last book I read and completed was Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series) by Rebecca Donovan which is more of a fictional story about a girl in an abusive home just trying to survive.

I like reading fiction novels set around different cultures such as inidan and Chinese
I have read “Of Marriagable Age” about arranged marriage and now reading “Five Star Billionaire” based around the Chinese lifestyle
also like light reads such as comedy and sometimes thrillers

1 Like

I like reading, too. But I am now having a problem memorizing what I have read. Because of poor memory and concentration, I now can rarely remember the plots or the expressions of the book so that I rarely think over what I have read. It seems although I read a lot but few things remain in my mind. This blankness of mind or poverty of thinking annoys and bothers me a lot.

1 Like

I have the same problem I don’t remember what I have read almost as soon as I have read it. It is frustrating.

1 Like

I love sagas, at the moment I’m on a Josephine Cox reading binge, she’s excellent! Her stories are touching and always with a little dark mystery in them, can’t put them down!

1 Like

Love to read anything I can get my hands on. Sci fi, comedy, classics, adventures. I tend to read more fiction then non-fiction. I don’t know if this is just me, but being on my meds and completely being straight and narrow about taking them the past year or so, I think my memory is slightly improving.

I have to re-read stuff a lot, but I don’t feel like I’m forgetting as much as I used to. Of course clearing the mind enough to concentrate has been a problem for me. That still takes some time. I do read in short stints.

1 Like

I do not read any books or novels, my concentration is too poor for that. I used to read all kinds of books years ago, but not any longer. I do not read news either, just headlines. I like to watch movies and music videos. I listen a lot of music.

@sohare1981, from my somewhat limited experience the ‘how to be a writer’ books are pieces of crud. The one my creative writing teacher forced us to read was basically some guy swanning about how wonderful he is because he is a writer. I have never heard of him.

@SurprisedJ, do you mean you alternate fiction and nonfiction? I do that too. I stopped reading for a long time because I was trying to force myself to read too much fiction because I wanted to improve my writing. I finally finished that book (Bleak House by Charles Dickens. I highly recommend it). I got into ‘The Gulag Archipelago’ by a Russian who was seized by the Soviet police and tortured. I can look up the name for you if you want.

Comment on this if you want me to tell you about ‘Bleak House’. I generally only go for the classics or a writer I know. If I get a book by an unknown author or that I haven’t heard of I go by the cover. I don’t like the synopsis at the back of the book. They either spoil the book by giving too much away or they make the book out to be something it’s not.

I’m not talking about giving you a summery. Just some comments on the structure and writing style. For example Dickens has what feel like fifty characters in the book, but they all tie in in an integral way at some point or another. So even though it felt like he was going on wild tangents everyone he mentioned was important.

helloo?

thought I posted here.

Yes I’ve read a small mountain of books, fiction, non-fiction, physics, history, politics, heck I even read the Bible cover to cover just out of curiosity when I was seventeen.

Am I the better for it? Sure.

Do I remember any of it? Not a so much’a

Did it get me anywhere? Nope.

But when you’re bed is surrounded by piles of books…everyone thinks you’re really smaht. People are freckin dumb dude, even the people who are supposedly smart.

1 Like

Lots of people think I’m smart because I use ‘big words’. I come across these words in my books and learn what they mean that way and how much better a word for that situation it is than some other ‘small word’. I don’t really think about it. It’s just the type of language I am familiar with.

1 Like

I usually take those “how to be a writer” books with a grain of salt. I’m more so looking for ideas that have worked for other artists and then see if I can incorporate their methods of writing and developing into creating my own worlds and stories. I rarely use every idea from those books, I just look at them for tips.

I have a short story anthology that has interviews with writers that people have heard of (like Mark Twain). I found that much more helpful.

Most of what my teacher wanted me to do didn’t work for me. I have been writing for a very long time and from that experience I have come up with my own methods. Some of the things she was trying to force us to do were actually bad for me. Like keeping a writing journal. Lots of my classmates say it helped them remember ideas. I don’t work that way. I get an idea, I just let it bounce around for a while. If I forget about it, it obviously wasn’t going to work for me. But when the idea sticks and I start writing the story in my head, that’s when I try to put it on paper. But writing the idea itself down just kills the idea for me.

A fascinating book by Charles Dickens is his (non-fiction) American Notes. It’s a travel journal of his visit to America… His take on America. Available at Project Gutenberg.

1 Like

Oh man, I love those kind of things. One of my favorite books is one I got from my Chinese roommate in high school. It was in Chinese (of course) but it has English translation right next to it. It is basically “America is different from China. Here is what to expect.”

I think those are a really good way to learn about the other country. They point out the things that they consider really different (like an article I read that was giving Japanese people advice on what to expect over here). Apparently they have very efficient, fast cashiers there because the writer talked about how long the lines are here, and also mentioned that it was perfectly fine to start talking to other customers while you wait. I don’t think an American tour book of Japan would have ever talked about that.

1 Like

I think you’d like Dreaming in Chinese – Mandarin Lessons in Life, Love, and Language, by Deborah Fallows. I picked it up when I learned I liked this kind of thing and saw it in the travel, or was it the linguistics, section.

2 Likes

i read the ’ the girl with the dragon tattoo ’ trilogy by larsson.
it was awesome to have a strong female heroine…but it did my head in a bit, i think i read them too quickly one after the other.
take care

1 Like