Question for very visual thinkers

Those of you who consider yourselves visual thinkers near or at hyperphantasia levels, do you feel like you hallucinate more than other SZ people?

I saw a video where someone asked you to imagine an Apple or something and then asked where is the Apple. Like you’ve imagined it but what is the background. I tripped me out because I’d never thought about it before. It was just black space behind it.

That prompted me to ask my SO the same question and he said he couldn’t imagine it very well. Just bits and pieces of an image that didn’t stay around long enough for him to see any background. He said it’s just flashes of Apple characteristics. He asked what I saw and I told him I could see the whole apple with all the details and could zoom in and out and rotate the image any way I wanted. That tripped him out.

Then I thought about how I love interior design and how I’ll just stare into a space I am wanted to design. In my head I am rearranging furniture and painting walls and swapping flooring, but outside it just looks like I’m staring into space.

I think that I might be controlling hallucinations by doing that. I wonder if a strong visual mental picture is correlated to how often a schizophrenic hallucinates. I have visual hallucinations pretty frequently.

3 Likes

Im a visual thinker and dont hallucinate but got overall cognitive and visual defecits and hard of hearing…

1 Like

İ was read one medical article that visual hallucinations are significant indicator for higher cognitive deficit.people with visual hallucinations are tend to more catastrophic cognitive deficits than people who not visual hallucinations

2 Likes

I have aphantasia - the complete opposite

2 Likes

I have a very visual mind. I didn’t know others couldn’t do that so well :S

I can do the same lol

1 Like

Yikes. Don’t know if I should worry about that. So far I function relatively well on my own. It’s not great but I keep a part time job and my bills are in order. As I get older though I’ve noticed more deficits. I hope that correlation doesn’t signify the direction of how my illness will affect me:/

1 Like

Curious. Do you think in words or sounds instead? If someone asked you to describe an apple what do you think of?

Do you also make art? I find it’s really helpful when drawing or painting.

1 Like

A green or red roundish fruit. I think in words.

1 Like

I’m a visual thinker. I like to simulate things visually in my mind. I mostly have visual hallucinations as well. I also hallucinated a lot. But my visual hallucinations were not extremely complex.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. Thanks for the insight!

Feel free to skip this question if you’d rather not answer. What do you mean by not complex hallucinations? I think I understand but I’m not sure. Anywho, I also like making visual simulations as well. It’s helpful to figure problems out.

Not heard of this term before and had to look it up

I find people who’re aphantasia very irritating when I am trying to quote a landscaping job and you have to explain something you picture clearly a thousand times for them still not to get it.

Even for this one person had to pay for a subscription for a landscaping plan software because they just did not get what I was talking about.

Highly, highly irritating. I got the job for these people in the end, but their creativity and ability to mentally picture something has made me so mad just thinking about it that the apple is now rotten

1 Like

Is there an easy reliable test available online to know if you have hyperphantasia? I definitely know I don’t have aphantasia. One of the reasons I love reading literature it;s because the sheer intensity, after a while I can’t even remember if I read the story or saw a movie adaptation of it. And yes, the only hallucinations I ever had were visual.

1 Like

I also find describing things to people who have trouble seeing things in their minds eye difficult. Usually it requires more time speaking that image into existence for them. I’m okay doing that for people who need it though.

I also feel very lucky to be able to draw decently enough to show them what I mean. I usually do that when I am having trouble. It makes a big difference in how well the information is received. That is, if you and the people you’re talking to don’t mind the awkward silence as it’s being drawn.

That said I have trouble finding words that describe what I’m thinking in general. I have a feeling that may be part of my cognitive deficits. Sometime I just lose the ability to find words. Drawing it out works in this circumstance as well.

I understand you can’t always being drawing your thoughts out when doing business though. Especially for something as detailed as landscaping jobs.

Im bad with verbal directions

1 Like

I found this one. I’d take it with a grain of salt though. Idk if Hyperphantasia is something that needs a diagnosis from a professional or anything, but I’m sure the quiz was not made by a professional. Also I’m not a professional so probably a big grain of salt with this one haha.

It was fun to take.

1 Like

Same:( I tend to forget them if I’m only told what to do and not shown. Though I think that is true of most people.

1 Like

Actually I make music and it helps me a lot cause I can visualize very well what it would look like in midi form and what I would have to do on the program to get the sounds to sounds good etc. I wonder if it really is rare…

1 Like

That. Is. SO. COOL!

1 Like