Preserve and maintain cognition long term? How?

What do we do to keep it good?

How do we keep it from getting worse?

@insidemind, @anon9798425, @anon17132524, @Ninjastar, @zombiepupper?

Take care

1 Like

I wish I knew, honestly. I am losing more and more of my academic abilities.

I think most of the science points towards regular exercise as being one of the main things you can do to maintain a healthy and happy brain.

5 Likes

I think exercise is one of the best things you can do.

1 Like

Stay physically and mentally active. Take up a hobby that you have an interest in, something that requires learning. Whether it’s gardening, board games, trivia, stock market…anything that requires you to mentally connect the dots (applying what you’ve learned). I want to know that A causes B, but I really want to know how and why A causes B.

Keep a balance in your life; don’t do too much of anything. I like to have a schedule. It’s very important to maintain a positive state of mind. Its been proven that the brain works better when a person has a positive state of mind.

And sleep is very important.

5 Likes

On Seroquel, my cognition is good, and in addition my motivation has been really good. Quite surprising just how high my motivation and organisation has been. A stark contrast to before I was on Seroquel.

1 Like

Sarcosine helps with my cognition. Studies also say learning new skills increases neural pathways and can even increase brain mass. Juggling was the example used in the study I like best, but any skill that engages separate areas of the brain would work.

1 Like

I honestly think most of our cognitive problems are caused by not using our brains enough. If you sit inside all day and watch TV, of course you’re going to have severe cognitive problems. Not saying all of it will go away if you manage to live a normal life, but most of it probably will. And other symptoms also affect cognition.

1 Like

I’m an avid supporter on video games. I’m prefer pc to console. It helps me with literally “everything”. If ya don’t use it, ya lose it

1 Like

Building good habits and sticking to them will definitely help. Stay busy.

1 Like

U know sometimes over a period of time with the illness It just sort of happens. It can recover I know mines is but who knows maybe it’s the med I’m on. But don’t lose hope.

I’ve got opinions I detail below, but I need help making a plan.

I take two fish oil tablets, I’m not sure if they’re good.

Brain training apps seem like a scam to me…

Some of my issues are memory and executive functioning…

I saw somewhere that lithium is neuroprotective…

I can’t remember anything autobiographical, so slow wave (deep) and rem (end of night mostly) sleep I’m trying to get more of…those types of sleep help consolidate diff types of long term memory—declarative and procedural respectively

i am not making many new memories…i maintain hope that i can get better in that area; though, as long as im not sad…meaning no depressive “swing”, then im totally fine being a bit forgetful

as for working memory…really, memory is very complex and we take it for granted, it is a core issue in my struggle w/this thing…

getting philosophical…

i think, success stories are the exception rather than the rule…

impairment is not always unpleasant, for eg, if you feel fine w/not making it over the bar, and no one is forcing you to do so…then you just feel fine…maybe you feel fine forever

say; ■■■■■ the bar, ■■■■ the fosbury flop, ima do the limbo!”

maybe you feel bad at most moments, but this moment you feel fine

more so than anything, memory is important, and you wont miss it till its gone…and we’ve all got a bit…some more than others

problems won’t always go away just because you don’t like feeling sad…confusion confused

like the song from yo gabba gabba

I like that song, and it has a special meaning to me.

Is the future or past good or bad as a whole, if we have no recollection of it? What if the way we feel right now makes everything we remember or imagine unrealistically ideal or alternatively absolute rubbish?

have i got any good quotes in here @anon93437440?

I take in omega 3s from eggs and canola oil, i exercise like @DMAdataANDmoodanalysis said, i might start taking creatine supplements regularly, but you need to drink a lot of water, and i might be on lithium at some point…

----bipolar cognitive issues…there’s a chance they’ll shift from state to state…psychmtr. agit. means stuff gets crappy, you do bad work and make mistakes…but u do work (motivated, stand up activity)…you can’t focus plan or remember, but you are doing “things”, maybe only half way, maybe 3/4 of the way if you’re lucky…still…“things”…

at least that’s where i wanna be

------as for sz…pretty stable over time, though meds can change it, i think.

and everyone’s different…

@innercircle, what is your argument? have u ever dealt w/ issues like these?

@Ninjastar, @anon17132524

To recap:
-omega 3s > yes
-creatinine supplement > maybe
-lithium > maybe in future
-8 hour uninterrupted sleep > hopefully somehow

TLDR: 'Ive put personal opinions above; still I would benefit from new ideas from folk!

Creatine helps with everything definitely if you work out

1 Like

It does brain things too @John_Raven, not approved by the government people for things…I read on a blog that it helps w/ mental stuff too!

1 Like

There really is no medication specifically for memory. There are medications that can help improve concentration. Some holistic stores sell natural supplements that promote themselves as good for memory.

The brain is like a muscle, you have to exercise it to improve it. It’s also part of your body, so physical exercise and a good diet will not only improve your overall health, but improve how your brain functions as well.

A few researches show that B vitamins (B6, B12, and methylfolate - B9) improve memory by creating a protective shield for the neurons in the brain. Very safe and no side effects. Purified omega can help with mental clarity and lessen inflammation.

meds, good diet and exercise, therapy, love…

One word of advise about creatine.

Creatine works a lot for me. I wouldn’t do it any more without this. Seriously. Meta cognition, mellows out my moods, feelings,…just a cooler mind and action.

The thing about it is that it might be right for someone just like me because of one reason: I’m able to grasp the handle on my mind. I wasn’t able to before however.

I eat, sleep, think, talk, write, record, and practice the mind…which is different from the brain (it’s of the brain not the brain), and most of all it’s not a religio, culto ideology about what the either the brain nor mind “may possibly” be. This is a huge difference.

I begin my understanding of my mind at the root which is the Trivium and Quadrivium as well as subject + predicate logic and fallacy. I call this kind of thing informationology. It’s the study of the phenomenon of information.

I then know what my mind is. Again this is not to know what my brain is. My brain is like another muscle or other organ. My mind is unlike any of them except that an organ makes it. The mind is information, and information changes the brain and thus the mind.

Therefore I need to know informationology to know the mind phenomenon.

Then there’s the study about paradigms, but if you don’t have the first two, info and mind, then you don’t have any way of understanding a lot of paradigm study.

NOW…

With that being said, I have a different kind of mind. I used to be religious, but I’m no longer religious. I was so almost all my life which is why I became sz. Had I have known what I know now, I would not be sz, but I wouldn’t be capable of what I’m capable of doing now.

So my warning is maybe the creatine is something I can handle, but other sz’s cannot handled. I said maybe. I didn’t say for sure, and I implore you to try it. I take not a teaspoon and not a big soup spoon but a spoon in between. I believe it’s called a table spoon. I take one of those heaping with creatine which is more than the daily amount suggested.

The benefits are virtually instant. It goes well with my coffee…and everything else.

I get better joints, more muscular stamina, my nerves and tolerance are better, my moods and emotions are more level, my meta cognition and steady hand while I’m doing things fast and articulate is much more consistent. My attitude and feeling about getting things done is drastically improved.

But this is like putting fuel into a car with the transmission that was broken, but now the transmission is fixed. All the gears are aligned and fit together with precision using the above studies I mentioned at first. This is still a working project by the way. I’m not perfect, but I have drastically reduced my sz symptoms since I began those studies and uses of that kind of info and thoughts on a daily routine basis.

But if I were still a religio, culto ideology concept kind of mind or rather “transmission” per se, I don’t think it would be perfect for me with the creatine. This may be like putting fuel into a car in disrepair with the transmission still in need of stratifying and tuning.

Either way creatine is not going to hurt you. It’s as healthy as can be. It will run out of your system rapidly if that’s what you want. You make it in your body. You eat it in your food. I find it as an all around health booster with physical and mental benefits.

How does it help? What improvements have there been?

It mostly helps me with executive functioning. Like, instead of seeing an endless pile of tasks, I can break them down into manageable pieces.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Executive functioning NB organising and planning is definitely a cognitive deficit for me. I’m not good at multi step tasks.

I wonder how good sarcosine would be given my age