Pregnenolone reduces negative symtoms in recent onset sz

This is a pdf so I hope I can link it…

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pcn.12150/pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjq6r2zlpjUAhWqs1QKHTQPDp4QFgg8MAM&usg=AFQjCNFZ8nJxiV3PgsE9UNer7scaep_z1w

Pregnenolone is a neurosteroid but it is sold as a dietary supplement. Apparently there is a difference in effects between pregnenolone and pregnenolone sulfate. I haven’t been able to find a whole lot of recent info. The link above is a study on people, below, one on rats discussing the mechanism for effects.

3 Likes

This on the effects differences between pregnenolone and pregnenolone sulfate

"We also showed that pregnenolone sulfate normalized behavioral abnormalities in MK801-treated wild-type mice, whereas pregnenolone, its precursor, only partially rescued MK801-induced behavioral abnormalities. This indicates that there are distinct mechanisms of action between pregnenolone sulfate and pregnenolone, and the involvement of NMDA receptor signaling in the action of pregnenolone sulfate. "

In the human trial, the dosage was 50 mg and they used pregnenolone (not the sulfate form.)

Does pregnenolone have side effects?

It doesn’t really say, other than that it was "well tolerated "

Good to see the new paper - and the earlier PDF has been discussed before - see the discussions around effectiveness in these posts:

and

and

1 Like

Pregnenolone didn’t help me at all. I took 50mg daily for more than a month. Maybe sulfate would make a difference? But I don’t think they sell it OTC…

Yeah, I don’t know. I was hoping there’d be more study on effective forms and dosage but there’s not much.

1 Like

Its still early in the research - only few studies have been done. We’ll likely see more.

1 Like

I hope so.

Just seems kinda stalled out, don’t know who’s taking an interest in it these days. Real studies are expensive, too and it’s got no wealthy drug company to advance it.

Apparently pregnenolone in high doses normalizes schizophrenia-like behavior through glutamate signalling. The significance of this is mentioned briefly in the below video. Skip to 12:45 for the relevant portion of the video.

2 Likes

I wonder if it would have a beneficial effect with sarcosine or if it’s similar enough that it wouldn’t help much more.

1 Like