Schizophrenia.com

Pre-diabetes

So I got a letter from my insurance company stating that I needed to get a blood test to see if I am prediabetic because patients with sz are at a higher risk for developing diabetes because of anti-psychotics. I had read this fact here at sz.com forum before, so this was nothing new to me. But to have this come from my health insurance company drove home the fact for me that this is real that I have sz/sza. I had my yearly physical and did my bloodwork where they checked my Fasting Plasma Glucose and I am not prediabetic! I count myself very lucky.

I just want to remind everyone to get checked.

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/the-link-between-schizophrenia-and-diabetes/cd544571e47eaaeaa6f5b4ce5de2158f.html

3 Likes

My doc has been looking at my blood sugar levels with a raised eyebrow for a few months now… I just started Metformin this month. We’ll see how this goes. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this simple med.

Good luck and I’m rooting for you. Glad you caught it early.

2 Likes

I’m prediabetic because I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, am overweight, and from the meds. Like @SurprisedJ mentioned, Metformin is used. I’ve been on it for a while for the PCOS. It’s supposed to help with weight but I haven’t lost any weight on it. That could be because of the meds too. My endocrinologist said I would cut my risk of developing diabetes in half if I lost 40 or 50 pounds. I did lose 5lbs since the last time I was at my doctors when I went Friday. That’s twenty pounds since I’ve started working with a nutritionist. Just keep an eye on your carbs if you’re concerned about it. :sunny:

2 Likes

I always wondered what exactly do you do with a nutritionist?

She’s actually a holistic nutritionist. She taught us the dangers of eating MSG and high fructose corn syrup. She also educated us on why we should eat organic and avoid processed foods. I’ve gotten off track with it, but we’re supposed to eat grains and greens everyday with our biggest meal being mid day instead of dinner time. There are different times during the day where it is ideal to exercise, eat, and sleep. We also take a probiotic and drink a liter of Fiji water everyday. It’s amazing. From taking antibiotics your body develops a candida infection. Candida makes your brain foggy and makes you crave sugar and white flour. Since working with Mara I no longer crave food that is bad for you. I’ve learned what my cravings mean as far as what I’m really craving emotionally. I’ve really learned a lot but have trouble implementing some things like eating the bigger meal mid day. :sunny:

3 Likes