POLL. Work Ethic: Good or Bunk?

• Work ethic is the moral backbone of respectable society
  • Work ethic is for slaves
  • Depends on the job and degree of autonomy enjoyed by the worker
  • Too lazy to even reply

0 voters

1 Like

Over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that it is just as important to work smart as it is to work hard.

3 Likes

Fair enough. 15 15 1 1

1 Like

IDK, Having a good work ethic has all kinds of positives to it. I could think of ten positive things right off the top of my head.

3 Likes

I think it’s conditional. If work provides independence and allows one to take care of his or her own family then it’s worth it. People work for a reason. You don’t work for the sake of working.

4 Likes

If you love your work, you do.

3 Likes

Had a copy of the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism on my bookshelf for the longest time, refused to read it as that would have been work.

4 Likes

Depends on the job ---- usually I get into it and work ethic is pretty good

2 Likes

I had a strong work ethic instilled in me from a very young age. Try as I tried to keep a job post sza I eventually had to go on disability which definitely took a part of me away.

But tbf I worked in several jobs where I wanted to tell either a customer or employer to shove it.

Now I just do a few side hustles with my dad and that’s somewhat fulfilling.

1 Like

After sz, work and suffering became the same word.

1 Like

As a Catholic I fully understand.

I like the evangelical tinge in your comment.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

…Good ol’ Weber.

1 Like

Hej, Weber is not that bad once you get to know him intimately. Did you know he had a huge mental breakdown?

1 Like

Busy work is the bane of my existence.

However, sometimes you just need to be doing something with your hands to alleviate the anxiety.

I get super-anxious at my job, so it helps to be somewhat busy.

1 Like

Yea, he was a pretty interesting dude.

Took a course once in college with one of the prime authorities on Weber.

Very interesting class.

Political Sociology.

1 Like

I am more than willing to work hard for a company that recognizes and rewards the hard workers, and gives the lazy indolent slackers the boot. I’m NOT going to give my hard work to a company that rewards perceived achievement by giving a person a higher paying job, but with less work, and this continues up the scale to where the executives do almost nothing and make exponentially more than the bottom floor people who do the “real” work.

1 Like

I have to argue with you on this one. Sorry!

I can only speak for my experiences, but I grew up in a white collar family, with a lawyer dad who went on to become general counsel and VP at a huge publicly well-known company. All I can say is that it was like growing up without him during the weeks and half the weekends.

And out of his friends and people I’ve since worked for, every exec I know works their ass off, and works crazy long hours to be where they are and stay where they are.

I am sure there are exceptions to this, but I just wanted to paint you a slightly different picture. There’s lots of execs who work their asses off and sacrifice, too.

1 Like

Yikes! No, point taken, I tend to paint with far too wide a brush, obviously my experiences count only for me. There goes that “generalization” thing again, got to put brain in gear before engaging mouth

1 Like

Not at all! We’re just having a discussion here.

I just grew up with a different experience, is all, so I thought I’d share. Thanks for being open to it.

1 Like