POLL. Work Ethic: Good or Bunk?

Speaking of work ethic sort of: there are many different types of jobs in the world. This goes out specifically to people who work directly with other humans. WHY? Why, if you hate people and don’t want to be around them, would you take/keep a job as a “customer service representative” “help desk staffer” “cashier” etc etc. I run into this all the time. If you hate your job, hate working with people, and so on, it would make sense to GET A DIFFERENT JOB. Your job is making you miserable, you’re making other people’s lives miserable, just take the plunge and get something YOU LIKE. Doesn’t seem like rocket science to me. I’m aware there are many instances where it’s not possible, but for the ones who can, GO. Go be happy, away from me.

1 Like

:joy: :rofl:

So often, though, it’s kids/younger adults who don’t feel like they should have to take job that’s beneath them. Excuse me while I pull up a chair on my lawn so I can wave my old lady cane and yell at people to get off it, but all anyone wants to be is a famous influencer. And “cashier” is not that. I’ve worked shitty jobs. We all have. But you have to actually do it the right way if you’re going to bother. People are going to be ■■■■■■■■ to you at your customer service job, but that’s part of the job. You, as the worker, don’t get to be an ■■■■■■■ back.

Steps off soapbox

Now get off my lawn!

1 Like

No problem. Sad that you have such annihilating bad times. It must be twice as tough for a sharp person like you.

1 Like

Thank you for saying so. :blush:

1 Like

I hate structure, but you need the structure of work in your life. I suppose that if no one is depending on you to support them and there are no emergencies, a little free time isn’t so bad. Given the way machines and automation are taking over the nature of work is going to change more and more. There is some talk of a “universal public income” where everyone gets at least a subsistence wage whether they work or not. I agree with this because the problem in the future is going to be financing consumption. We can produce so many goods and services that people won’t be able to buy. My ideas about this are that we need to raise wages overseas and bring down trade barriers. People overseas are working very long hours at very low wages to supply the developed world with designer clothes. Most of the “value” of those clothes comes from what the fashion designers decree. I’d like to see us do away with the whole idea of fashion. Some fat cat is getting all the money from people breaking their backs in sweat shops to give well off people “fashionable” clothes. That isn’t right. Greta Thunberg is right. We need to do away with the idea of perpetual economic growth.

I’m actually inspired by people who take any opportunity they can, put their best into it, and build it up from there. The “luckiest” people are generally those who create “luck” through their own hard work.

Reminder: You generally get paid to do something because it’s NOT something you would do for fun. The things you like to do for fun, those you usually have to pay for. There are two words for people who have jobs they love: Statistical outliers.

2 Likes

It’s a good point.

Agree 100%.

I’ve been fortunate in my past to have times where I was one of the outliers – it was glorious!!

But maybe I should apologize for my shitty comment.

I was just complaining about people who aren’t that, who aren’t doing all they can to do their best, but are working at their jobs in a half assed manner.

It frustrates me that the number one thing so many kids say they want to be is an influencer.

I am prejudiced in that I would rather see people working whatever job they can to serve creating something beautiful, whether it be taking care of their family, or going after a dream.

Again, I think my comment probably sucked, and I wrote it hastily.

Not at all. I can see where you are coming from so it’s all good.

1 Like

American’s have been brainwashed to think they need to dedicate their lives to their work and jobs and think their career or job is their identity and forget their home life. I think the pandemic has made lots of Americans to rethink their work ethics and make businesses and corporations value and respect the work they do and allow a good work / life balance. My sister owns a business and says workers have the power now and her employees would quit if she doesn’t make changes because her friends who also owns businesses had employees quit. My sister says they suck and hope karma gets them. A lot business owners are greedy and discusting. I am sure their are amazing business owners out there but most are not.

2 Likes

I think there would be a day, when we would be paid.
For anything we do.
Only clause would be our data will be utilized.
I think it’s already in place.
But just not that organized.
I am sure we will be paid. One day.
Example- imo - We worked first as individual contribution, then as a team, now as organizations later it would be as civilization.

1 Like

My problem is I burn bright and fast

I get a lot of work done by mid-afternoon, then crash…

Have been getting round that recently by training myself to use SQL as a wind down

Work ethic is important

2 Likes

Or perhaps a day when no one needs to get paid.

1 Like

True, What will I do with One or one million if I have only 1 minute to live.
It’s just because my circumstances I have gone up or down does not make me valued.
Just because intelligence is valued , I have none does not mean I am a chicken for dinner. Or am I.
May be I am a lost chicken found. The owner celebrated as fried chicken. My friend said at least the chicken is not wasted :thinking:

1 Like

I agree with you, I’ve always liked this quote…

Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity - Seneca

I was “lucky” to get a 5% raise at work within the first 5 months while still on probation, but it wasn’t really luck, I take my job seriously and do the best I can.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.