Poll: How Happy are You?

In terms of day to day living ?

• Happy almost all of the time
  • Happy most of the time
  • Happy some of the time
  • Happy a small amount of the time
  • Not Happy at All

What prompted this was this recent research on the topic:

I wish there was a mention of contentment. I am generally happy. But itā€™s not a constant state of being. Iā€™ve been much moreā€¦ content with my life lately. That seems to be more sustaining.

1 Like

I said happy some of the time but that isnā€™t to say that Iā€™m sad or depressed the rest of the time. Iā€™d say content most of the time, happy some of the time.

happiness is three kinds of ice cream

2 Likes

that is a good question because when you are full blown schizophrenic chances are you are very happy even though youā€™re very frustrated unlike being medicated schizophrenic where you have mood swings thatā€™s when youā€™re back and forth with your symptoms thatā€™s not so happy

I was thinking the same thing. I generally feel content.

I voted for some of the time then changed to a small amount of the time,but itā€™s hard to think of what happy means ie is it more than contentment or does it need an upbeat mood to be present?

I think contentment is happiness but upbeat mood is very happy,I choose having upbeat mood than content ness,I only had upbeat mood once in a bluemoon though

Perhaps substituting happy for content may make it easier :smile:

Happy definition: feeling or showing pleasure or contentment.

Happy is not euphoria: a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness :wink:

3 Likes

I think we over-emphasise ā€˜happyā€™ to some extent. Day-to-day life generally doesnā€™t give us reason to be deliriously, over-the-moon happy. I try to be grateful and enjoy the little things which brings about contentment, which I think is an under-valued thing. Sometimes just sitting on the couch watching a good movie + popcorn gives me plenty of pleasure.

4 Likes

I think thatā€™s it. After feeing euphoria many times due to this illness or drugs, itā€™s hard to be satisfied with basic ole happiness. It was easy for me to fall into the thinking that euphoria was happinessā€¦ but itā€™s not really. Itā€™s something all itā€™s own.

I agree. I was listening to someone in the park ranting to a friend on how this society doesnā€™t want contentā€¦ adā€™s all try and make us discontent with last years car that still works perfectly wellā€¦ heaven forbid you are seen with last seasonā€™s Iphone or Ipad. Even if it works, chuck it and get the latest model.

Content doesnā€™t make sales. When they were saying that I was very surprised at how that really fit.

1 Like

happy a little bit of the time, like when I have special moments in my everyday life, like walking to the flea market, or reading a book, or chatting affectionately with my husband or listening to music whilst cooking. But overall I am not happy. I worry too much about the future and my negative symptoms sap my strength.

there was a time where i didnā€™t even know what happiness was and i was just suffering from flat effect but after a med change i feel a lot happier, i put some of the time because i am not happy most of the time like i donā€™t walk about in a constant state of happiness as it takes me doing something or someone doing something good for me to be happy, people make me happy but i donā€™t see them all the time, my music makes me happy but again iā€™m not listening to that all the time, anyway all of the little things add up to make me feel on a level where i can be happy some of the time.

Very true. I wonder how much marketing and consumerism has affected peoples sense of contentedness. In general, where no mental illness is involved, I realise people arenā€™t particularly happy - they want more, they feel they need more/better, they feel unaccomplished and are constantly seeking improvement. Sometimes itā€™s okay to be happy with things are they are but weā€™re geared and forced towards ā€˜successā€™.

I was reading an article about the over-glorification of ā€˜busyā€™ - everyoneā€™s so busy and proud of being busy. Rarely does someone say ā€˜Didnā€™t do much todayā€¦sat aroundā€¦it was greatā€™.

The moment I finished Uni, I felt I couldnā€™t be ā€˜happyā€™ until I landed a job - people kept asking ā€˜found a job yet?!ā€™. It had only been a month and I was frankly enjoying my freedomā€¦but it felt like that wasnā€™t allowed to for fear of being perceived as ā€˜lazyā€™.

We spend our lives cooped up in offices, buying things we donā€™t needā€¦entering into financial contracts that ensure we remain slaves to our employers. I remember a friend of mine who didnā€™t buy a thing but the strict necessities, allowing him to enter into semi-retirement at the age of 35. Not a bad idea.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s done a very good job at nearly erasing it.

Weā€™ve lost the art of content. When one does ā€œhave it allā€ the big house, the flash car, the trophy husband or wife, the high powered jobā€¦ what does that really mean? Even thatā€™s not good enough if your not at the top of the pyramid.

I do have one brother who by consumer standards ā€œHas it allā€ high paying job, big house, a few super nice carsā€¦

His kids (my niece and nephew) think heā€™s a tosser and avoids him. His wife is one inch away from filling for divorce. Heā€™s rather estranged from most of us family. He works so much he says he doesnā€™t need friendsā€¦ they would just be after his money. Never content.

But he has it all according to the magazines.

@Louisa84 I enjoyed reading your posts. Your expression is very good. Grammatically correct and reasonable. Are you Romanian staying elsewhere in the world? You seem to understand virtually any cultures. Please keep up the good work.

I guess in this case, Happy could mean contentment - I am happy or content some of the time