Can a schizophrenic feel happy?

Is it the meds or anhedonia. I’m always sad. Is this part of growing up? I can’t feel joy.

1 Like

I don’t get happy like most people. I have my own type of happiness. And that’s good enough for me. IDK. I was driving to the dermatologist this morning which is close to where I grew up and the sun was out and the traffic was light and the mountains were beautiful far away and I just was really enjoying myself. And when I was in the docs office we were both kind of bantering back and forth with our own little power trips. I was actually just a little aggravated at it but it was interesting and I surprised myself as I usually do when I come through and hold my own. So yeah, not a bad day and I’ll live to fight another day. Now I’m eating plain guacamole with a spoon with no chips, life is funny that way.

4 Likes

That does sound like happiness. I love driving with my windows open. It’s the intrusive thoughts I’ve had since 2014. They sucked the life out of me.

3 Likes

I think a schizophrenic can feel happiness. Although I have pondered if they can feel depressed. Because if they were depressed wouldn’t that make them sza?? Maybe I understand it wrong. I’m not sure why you feel sad exactly. I think it could be a lot of your illness though.

There are things to be sad about with this illness. However each year the last 5 has improved for me. I hope it improves for you soon. I think it will change for U.

I think I take pride in relearning old things with a new adult perspective. I think it’s little things like that that gives me joy a lot. Helping people and having connections. Nature and accomplishing stuff. Realizing you’re not alone in this world so much. That’s how I felt working tonight with my coworkers and it brought me joy. I used to not experience joy. I wish I had a better answer than “getting on the right meds changed it for me”. Because there was probably more to it than that. But I dunno where I’d be with different meds. Different place probably. Take care.

3 Likes

Sometimes you have to force yourself to be happy, like think of something good that has happened that day. Being optimistic is super helpful.

3 Likes

I feel happiness. I have depression too but I have times of happiness and I cherish them!

6 Likes

I’m sure you have your moments and you will in the future too. I’m not discounting your symptoms but you list good positive things that happen to you. And more will probably happen too.

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I was really happy, sure a brief few moments, but not the type of happy when your motivated, excited to meet the day.

Most days I ask myself why am I even bothering, which in itself holds you back and you never really get ahead. A endless battle

1 Like

I don’t feel depressed. That is winning in my world and generally I’m a warm kinda guy in real life. I’m less emotional but that is a good thing!

2 Likes

Feeling pretty happy right now.

:blush:

3 Likes

I feel emotional flatness myself. But somebody did an are you happy poll on here. A good amount of people on here said they were happy or at least sometimes happy.

1 Like

I am happy but frustrated at the same time. I get pretty low sometimes but I always find a way through it.

2 Likes

I am permantly content don’t feel frap enough emotions to be happy or sad.

1 Like

I can feel mild happiness but it’s rare.
I no longer can feel joy and barely feel pleasure.
I’m pretty sure that my AP dampens what I am able to feel.

1 Like

I’m not happy. No matter where I go or what I do. I know I won’t be happy. I can’t be happy with this illness. But there are good things in my life. Not too much good things, but enough to keep on living.

2 Likes

I’m not too happy with life, but there are some hobbies that bring me some enjoyment. Maybe if I had a better sense of self I could be happier.

1 Like

I’m happy most of the time right now (could change tomorrow lol). I have a great, understanding husband who helps me in every way, awesome kids, a sweet dog, happy moments like @77nick77 mentioned, and a good life in general. So yes, I’d say we can be happy. It might be in a different way than someone else’s happy, but still, yes.

2 Likes

It’s the little things I guess. I have a great life. For some reason everything feels meaningless, probably part of depression and anhedonia.

1 Like

I think so too unless it’s recent. I’m on abilify and it has an antidepressant effect as well as an antipsychotic effect.

L-theanine can make you feel flat too. But if you need it, you need it.

1 Like

I get more than happiness , I have inner peace

1 Like