Poll: Does the Flagging System on this site work effectively?

• Yes
  • Kinda
  • Maybe
  • No
  • I am unsure

0 voters

I voted Kinda. It is a more efficient system of finding and addressing rule-breaking. On the downside, we sometimes don’t have time to see the full context of the flagged post. I’ve sometimes accidentally agreed with a flag that seemed to attack another user, without knowing it was an inside joke between the two users. I’ve sometimes ignored seemingly harmless posts, without realizing that they were actually sneaky personal attacks.

No system will be perfect, but this one works as well as anything else I could think up.

2 Likes

I think it’s effective in that people reading the forums will get a good flow of the conversation that would account for what you describe. I guess if it annoys loads of people must be clear.

A site I go on uses points. If you post a lot you earn them and when you hit milestones. And they get taken away if you’re not helping. That’s probably a bit convoluted though!

The flagging system here works fine but no system is perfect.
I voted kind of.

1 Like

My thoughts on this matter vary. I guess, all things considered, the flagging system is good.

I’d flag a lot more stuff but I recognize you get away with a bit more on the unusual beliefs section. Truly the moderation is pretty cool here these days and I applaud that. Like some of the stuff can be whack and wouldn’t be kosher in the past. I think that is a good thing as the mods learn a certain amount of grace.

It really is a hard thing to manage so I’d say yes. It works well.

2 Likes

I’ve changed my vote to no based on personal experience. It depends on the system being used properly to be effective and fair.

1 Like

I guess you have people who are flagging just because it’s something they don’t want to hear

I don’t even know if people can get warned or suspended for mis-flagging.

It damages free speech and wastes the mods time

perhaps up and down voting things would be better than likes and flagging - kinda like Stack Overflow

There are more than enough people already who hate us and don’t like people who’re sz for loads of reasons. We don’t need that kind of ■■■■ here too

Just so everyone is clear on this: There are no consequences for flags we disagree with. Each flag is evaluated by a mod before anything happens to the post. Only in very rare instances are posts hidden because of the flag threshold, and this has never been abused for as long as I have been a mod.

5 Likes