Poll : Do you think you getting Schizophrenia (or sza) was inevitable for you or

or do you believe it was caused by an event in your life. Or a combination of the two.

I personally believe that I was predisposed to getting the diagnosis of schizophrenia and then it was triggered by certain stressors in my life. I was diagnosed very late, in my early 40’s, unlike many people here though.

What do you think?

• I was born with it. period.
  • I was born with the predisposition for it.
  • It was caused solely by events in my life.

0 voters

1 Like

Im on the fence of whether I chose it or the gov. did.

1 Like

My biggest question is, if it’s just a disposition and not a outright biological certainty, like this poll is leaning towards, where do the negatives come from then? Because we are out of psychosis, you would think the negs wouldn’t linger if it’s caused solely by a stressor. Is it a result of the after effects of brain damage from psychosis? Is it purely the meds causing negatives? I just don’t know.

Some szics show brain abnormalities vs normal brains like bigger ventricles (empty fluid filled spaces in the brain), etc

3 Likes

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/brain-abnormalities-in-patients-with-schizophrenia-found/

1 Like

Stressful events are a trigger for symptoms of schizophrenia. There are medical journalists linking smoking and substance abuse with schizophrenia. Also the majority of schizophrenics are low income poor, homeless and receive funds from the government.

2 Likes

One of the biggest arguments I have against the “being born with it” theory is that you can have two identical twins and only one of them develops sz. So I dunno. Some of the brain changes may be due to the impact of psychosis. or meds for that matter.

1 Like

Yea but I think genes can get mutated or edited during pregnancy or even after. A virus can modify genes etc Some infections cause sz in ppl who never had sz before like Lyme disease, etc Also brain trauma can cause sz I read. But also street drugs can cause sz by altering neurotransmitters and the chemistry of the brain. Stress too. I read that szics produce more dopamine than normal ppl while exposed to stress. There are lots of causes but I think genetics is the biggest part given that 50% of twins both develop sz.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I was born with it because I showed schizophrenic symptoms even as a young child.

1 Like

I agree with that . I too think genetics is probably the biggest factor.

1 Like

Its also nearly 50% risk of having sz if both parents have sz according to Wikipedia. Actually they say for twins its more than 40%. I know twins who both got sz at around the same age, they were in university but now they’re doing worse than me.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve read similar statistics on births to sz parents and twins. Those percentages are all in the ballpark of what I’ve read also.

1 Like

no clue I didn’t do drugs besides caffeine

1 Like

I was genetically predisposed.

Then I’ve had chronic excessive stress in my life including depression and anxiety.

Then I started drinking heavily here and there.

Then one night I took a lot of mdma crystals with alcohol.

2 Likes

Edit,

I don’t have sz atm.

I have psychosis NOS

1 Like

I believe I had the predisposition. I had a long prodomal phase and then when I was 19 several bad acid trips triggered it. My mom told me in my twenties that she thought something was wrong with me in high school but she didn’t know what it was. I smoked a lot of pot and she was most likely seeing the start of my schizophrenia.

2 Likes

It probably varies from person to person. There was no stressful event that preceded it for me. My childhood wasn’t great, but I wasn’t abused or poor or anything like that. I think I would have gotten it regardless of my circumstances.

1 Like

its probably a combination of the two, I have schizophrenia from my mothers side and my bad childhood etc triggered it to break out when I was 20…

1 Like

If I didn’t have a brain injury, schizophrenia never would have developed

2 Likes