Pink Floyd: The Wall

Am I the only one here who relates heavily to the album The Wall? It’s not just coincidence because Syd Barrett, one of the founding members of the band, was one of the main inspirations for Pink, the protagonist of the album, and Syd Barrett is thought to have been a schizophrenic.

3 Likes

That album… I could lay down and listen to it everyday. there are a few lines that stick though. “the lunatic is on the grass”

That lyric is actually in the song Brain Damage from the album Dark Side of the Moon. lol
My favorite lyric from The Wall is “I can’t explain, you would not understand, this is not how I am”.

You’re not alone- I melt into that album :blush:

Maybe just a bit overrated, and a little too serious even for Floyd. But of course, some of their most well loved songs are on it.

IMO the most overrated Pink Floyd album. Meddle deserves much more attention.

The Wall was a huge album for me in high school. I adore all the Pink Floyd albums but when I want a music induced album to bring me down I listen to the entirety of the Wall. Plus it’s so filled with beautiful songs.

My Floyd album is Dark Side of the Moon, in no small part because my stepdad gave me a copy when I was 12. I used to listen to it on repeat so quietly when I was supposed to be sleeping. Catch me in the right mood and Brain Damage/Eclipse will still bring me to tears.

“The Wall is a concept album and explores themes of abandonment and personal isolation. The album is a rock opera that follows Pink, a character whom Waters modeled after himself and the band’s original leader, Syd Barrett. Pink’s life begins with the loss of his father during the Second World War and continues with abuse from his schoolteachers, an overprotective mother, and the breakdown of his marriage; all contribute to his eventual self-imposed isolation from society, represented by a metaphorical wall.”

Slamming parents and teachers for the problems of those who’d blown their brains out with drugs was VERY popular in the late '70s. Not saying families of origin and the materialistic cult-ure don’t play a role at any level of psychiatric angst (some of you know me way better than that), but TW’s many entertaining metaphors point to the upshots of an extremely (and unusually) abusive childhood, as well as to a lot of “self-medication.”

I have been an ardent PF fan since I first heard Meddle 40+ years ago. (And strongly support their “licensed” recreation, Brit Floyd; see below.) I know their lyrics dead bang. This is an album about slipping down into the unfortunate habit fixing one’s understandbly hurt feelings with dope.

cc: @schizofriendia @Revel @Hedgehog @Mim130 @Bluey @jukebox @Rhubot

2 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

Beautiful beautiful song. Too true but so beautiful. :heart:

2 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.