Over medicated?

How do you know if you’re taking too many meds?

1 Like

Slowly, very very slowly withdrawing after discussing it with people around you (doctor, family) and monitoring if you can do with less?

Why do you think you are overmedicated?

1 Like

You ask your psychiatrist, or get a second opinion.

1 Like

I take so many pills… eleven different meds and counting!

1 Like

That sounds a lot. I take 5. I think thats a lot. But you need to decide with your pdoc.

1 Like

11 medications seems like it’s probably too much!

1 Like

I take 12, so I know how you feel. But I’m working on a plan to get rid of some. Some are for medical reasons that I can change with diet and exercise and quitting smoking.

1 Like

I used to be on 6 medications. But now I’m only on two.

2 Likes

@PFL
You work with your doctor to discuss pros and cons and to assess risk. Sometimes you need more because you would be psychotic without them, or because a med is working but you take additional meds to address the side effects. Sometimes you need less because without them you can do okay.

@PFL
Some doctors over medicate. Sometimes a hospital stay will start you on more meds. Usually when I leave the hospital my psychiatrist takes me off their meds.

How long have you been on these meds? Who out you on them, your family doctor, psychiatrist, the hospital?

Been on them all for 12 months or more - started by psychiatrist and hospital. Some are for side effects

I’d like to take fewer but I worry that I would get very unwell again

1 Like

What does your doctor say?

I haven’t asked, guess that would be the obvious next step

11 meds??? That’s crazy!! All of them are prescription too?? Or do you count over the counter stuff.

I’m on 4 prescription meds and 3 other otc meds. I couldn’t imagine being on much more.

Its too many pills for me to swallow as it is. I have nausea problems in the morning especially taking pills. If I had to take eleven different meds I’d probably throw up. But that’s just me.

I take 7 meds. I’m on 2 antipsychotics because my schizophrenia is bad. I also have epilepsy so some of it is from that. If you feel like you take too many let the doctor know.

1 Like