OMG! Negative symptoms

Hi everyone,

I am new to the Forum. Diagnosed with Schizophrenia at 31. Really struggling with the negative symptoms. In particular anhedonia. Has anyone tried ANYTHING that works really well for negative symptoms like Modafinil, a stimulant/s, etc. These negative symptoms are making me suicidal. It is torture dealing with them on a daily basis. Any help is much appreciated.

1 Like

I responded to your other post. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Try an antipsychotic that is a partial dopamine agonist like Vraylar, Rexulti, Abilify or Caplyta.

1 Like

Also I am going to ask my dr about Strattera, its a stimulant.

1 Like

Thanks. I would appreciate any feedback for negative symptoms asap.

1 Like

I had severe negatives,
but now they’re gone.
I don’t know how.
I can’t advice you.

He’s only giving suggestions… it’s really up to you to make the final decision. Plus did you do research to see if it’s actually nonsense?

2 Likes

The whole selling point about Strattera (atomoxetine) is that it is a *non-*stimulant.

That said, its pharmacology overlaps with that of some stimulants (eg. methylphenidate and cocaine).

-Albert.

1 Like

I use modafinil. It only helps so much. But by all means discuss with a dr

@Sapphirarose , what meds are you taking at the moment if you don’t mind me asking?

@Sapphirarose unfortunately there are no specific meds to treat “negative” symptoms of psychosis.

Go speak with a doctor who may prescribe meds off label for you.

Drugs used off label to treat negative symptoms are usually antidepressants and ADHD and Narcolepsy drugs.

Many times antipsychotics with strong antidepressant properties are used.

Again, go speak with a doctor about it.

Relax, its not non sense, others said to you the same as I said, meds are for positive symptoms and you’re the one who gave false info by saying you never had positive symptoms. Yet then later you said your diagnosis is undifferentiated sz which means you HAD positive symptoms and thats why you’re on meds.

“Undifferentiated -type schizophrenia is a classification used when a person exhibits behaviors which fit into two or more of the other types of schizophrenia , including symptoms such as delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech or behavior, catatonic behavior”

https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/schizophrenia_treatment#:~:text=Undifferentiated-type%20schizophrenia%20is%20a,speech%20or%20behavior%2C%20catatonic%20behavior.

Besides you cant get meds without consulting your Dr first and even if it was possible it would be dumb to do it without consulting a Dr.

What you did by hijacking the thread is inappropriate. If you have something to tell me just make a thread and tag me.

My negative symptoms were best on partial dopamine agonists, Abilify. I want to try Vraylar or Caplyta but they’re not available here.

sorry i can’t help you with negative symptoms… i have them too but i didn’t find anything that works for them. I was on ritalin for a while but it made me psychotic again eventually…

and welcome to the forum btw =D

According to my research, many years ago, amphetamines work better in schizophrenia than methylphenidate (Ritalin). It was found that the amphetamines sometimes worsened positive symptoms, but this could be balanced out by adjusting the dose of antipsychotics.

-Albert.

1 Like

I tried modafinil. It didn’t help.

1 Like

Two things helped my negative symptoms. One was time on the medication. It took a good three years before I was feeling about 80% of my old self. The other was finding the right medication. Some of them work better for negative symptoms than others, and you have to try a few and find one that you can deal with, if you have that luxury.

There is no fda approved medication for negative symptoms. Stimulant medications used for adhd might help with cognition but carries a huge risk of paranoia and other positive symptoms as these drugs does the exact opposite of antipsychotics. So if you are already have positive symptoms and taking medication for that then its not an option.

Other options include certain nutritional supplements like nac, thiamine, omega 3 fatty acid etc. Green tea is useful too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.