Niacin 151515

To anyone using Niacin;

Particularly the time-release variety, at extremely high doses, can cause acute toxic reactions. Extremely high doses of niacin can also cause niacin maculopathy, a thickening of the macula and retina, which leads to blurred vision and blindness.

2 Likes

Niacin was used at like 3000 mg max to help with depression and alcoholism surprisingly

It also increases dopamine, which I never knew. It’s similiar to Korean Red Ginseng, I think they have the same half life as well.

That’s interesting. I’ve heard it’s the other way around. William J. Walsh, Ph.D., an American researcher, suggested that niacin works as dopamine reuptake promoter; opposite to the action of dopamine reuptake inhibitors.
(I can’t assure the validity or reproducibility of the claim) The data comes from this video. Skip to 55 min, 12 sec.

1 Like

My claim is from this.

Although I could be wrong. But from my experience it seems to increase it.

I support that niacin helps to decrease dopamine. When I stop taking niacin, after around 3 days I start getting a bit more agitated (I tried multiple times) and end up starting it again. Agitation I noticed gets worse for me with increases in dopamine. I know my experience with niacin is counter to what this website and some research says, but it helps so I keep taking it.

I am taking Niacin with the premise that it increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which has numerous memory-based benefits, as well as the ability to reduce toxic extrasynaptic NMDA signalling, which I believe is NMDA hyperregulation causing an individual to over-process sensory input and fabricate abnormal meanings in sounds and patterns.

I developed schizophrenia when I abused Piracetam for many months, taking arbitrarily large doses, which greatly upregulated my NMDA receptor density and caused me to develop schizophrenic symptoms like thought broadcasting and voices, so this is why I believe NMDA modulation will help my symptoms.

Another way to raise BDNF is by eating lots of veggies, or just supplementing Sulforaphane, which is like broccoli in a pill.

1 Like