New Diagnosis, Same Old Problems

Hey folks!! WOW haven’t been on here in quite a while! I’ve missed you guys!! Anyways update, it’s been a really rough semester for me. BUT I feel good things have come out of it. First of all I FINALLY have a non-vague diagnosis that I can actually identify with. I was diagnosed with psychotic depression (also known as depression w psychotic features) and PTSD. During my last episode I became suicidal again and I am now on medication, Zoloft and Ativan. I’ve established a new and improved support system for myself and even told one of my friends offline about me, and she has been a great help and also very supportive.

I can’t say I’m doing fantastic at the moment but I am certainly hopeful with all my new resources. How is everyone else doing??? How was your day today?? I have a lot of catching up to do ;_;

11 Likes

Hey, @Anna, that’s my diagnosis, too. It helps to have a target, doesn’t it?

I’m glad to hear about your support system. That’s important. How are you attacking this? Just meds right now, or meds and therapy?

2 Likes

Meds and therapy. I really like my therapist, she’s good. I really feel like a changed person. I allow myself to feel and express emotion more and am opening up to people. I typically only have therapy once a week but after my last episode we discussed that I could contact her whenever it was extra bad like that and we could meet as many times as I needed to or talk over phone. She is also getting me information for my school’s crisis center that does intensive outpatient therapy for when those episodes strike.

1 Like

That’s excellent news. I’m on a similar plan, after a few months, she dropped me from once a week to once a month. I’m thinking about increasing it to twice a month, but we’ll see. I’m also doing mindfulness therapy on my own.

What I’m working on now is getting help when I need it. That’s a big problem with me. I’m the type to let the house burn down around me rather than do something about the smoke I’m smelling. It’s so good that she’s making herself available to you like that if you’re in crisis. Make sure you take advantage of it.

Good luck!

1 Like

I am very much the same with the “letting the house burn down” around me as well. She has scolded me before, asking why I didn’t contact her during different times, haha. I’m glad you’ve also found a system that’s working for you and good luck to you as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s always heartening to hear that someone is doing better. I’m happy for you. I’m about the same as I’ve always been, which isn’t great, but it isn’t terrible either.

1 Like

Hey Anna, glad you’re doing well! Having a label isn’t that bad, at least we know where we stand, and very happy therapy has been good for you.

I quit my degree in TCM and started to do CBT therapy, will go back to school in September / October to study to be a teacher, then take a masters in special ed. Life is going great around here, just finishing my drivers license.

Good to hear from you!

2 Likes

Well I’m glad you’re not doing any worse :sunny:

@Minnii proud of you!! That’s awesome! Best of luck with that degree and it’s good you’ll be able to drive to get it, haha

1 Like