My phone number is on the Dark Web

I got a notice from my identity theft protection company today that they found my phone number on the Dark Web. It was associated with the name, address, and email of a woman who lives in a suburb.

I’ve only had my phone number for about three weeks. The thought occurred to me maybe the number belonged to this woman before I got it.

I’ve maybe had two phone calls from numbers I didn’t recognized, and one strange text message.

1 Like

Your guess is probably right. It’s just a reused number.

1 Like

I’d imagine most of us are on the dark web. Doesn’t take much and I’ve been on the internet since about 1996 or so. I use a decent company for protection and haven’t had any issues for years. Worth what you pay for.

1 Like

my email and number are on the dark web too. I usually check on https://haveibeenpwned.com/

The phone number was easily changed. But i still get some quite laughable attempts at trying to get my details from dodgy email pretending to be from the bank or netflix.

1 Like

Use GMail, its the most secure. Mine is old and hasn’t been pwned. I never have spam in it.

2 Likes

I got pwned 5 times! Damn.

1 Like

Many telephone numbers are on the dark web.
Not much you can do about it I guess.

1 Like

I get robocalls all the time. And texts too. I get calls from different numbers everyday with this lady speaking Mandarin. I don’t understand Mandarin so I just hang up. But then they call again from a different number so you can’t block them.

I have had the same cell phone number since 2004.

1 Like

I’ve been screening calls since I was like 8, works well with robocalls I just don’t answer anyone I don’t know. And we’re probably all on the dark web, info is so easy to steal and manipulate these days.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.