My experience with the psychiatrist

He didn’t tell me to take it today. He asked me if I had read up on any medications and want to try one which I think was unprofessional. It shouldn’t be up to patients which medication they take!
Then he started saying that antipsychotics can be used for anxiety and not just schizophrenia.
I hadn’t even mentioned schizophrenia to him so maybe he could read my mind or maybe he’s read my posts on here and recognises me.

Did you tell him that you weren’t taking it? (Or did you actually take it?)

I don’t think any pdocs are caring. They have their heads in the clouds and think they are superior to everyone else because of their medical degree and bucket loads of money.

My intial experiences were also extremely poor. I insisted on being referred to different psychiatrists and eventually found one who focused on my potential for recovery as much as I did. Please don’t give up yet.

6 Likes

No I didn’t have chance to tell him much besides answering the manipulative questions that made me think he was trying to make me look like a fool.

1 Like

I think you’re right. Time to find the right fit!

That’s so unfortunate. Perhaps it might help to type out a list of issues you need help with ahead of time? I’m one of those people who is not as fast verbally as I’d like to be (or need to be). It generally works out better if I can put everything in writing, give it to my doc, and then answer the questions that I’ve prepared for.

1 Like

Did anyone like your mum go with you? This can stop them acting like jerks?

Although my first apt with a temp cover pdoc for the EIP was me alone whilst she talked to my cpn and then I think they had a convo with them after my assessment…

But that was a long time ago.

I wrote a list beforehand but he didn’t seem like the kind of person who would sit and read something properly.

I am thinking maybe I shouldn’t be on this website if I am a con.
But then I could join say an OCD forum if I wanted to but I wouldn’t because I can’t relate to any of it.
Whereas I can relate to a lot of people here but apparently I’m just a normie who gets too anxious and stressed.

1 Like

No but now she wishes that she did because she isn’t afraid of telling people what she thinks.
She tried to ring them later for me to complain but no one answered and they haven’t called back.

This man (pdoc) has got me so stressed out, I can’t deal :exploding_head:

Deep breaths!

Have you ever done anxiety work groups?
I did some in hospital, not sure if I still have the handouts!

Vaguely, somehow they never stick with me!

I think I just need to do something that will cheer me up… I have been feeling somewhat happy up until today’s appointment!
What kind of things make people happy?

I know @Resilient1 had to file an official complaint with the nhs about his psych nurse, and then he got transferred to a different one. Could that be an option for you also? Some pdocs are horrible and don’t understand psychosis, but some are really amazing and helpful. If you complain and request an official transfer, you could find a much better fit for you.

1 Like

Netflix and a :coffee:?

2 Likes

Go see a private psychiatrist.
It would be worth the extra money.

2 Likes

Ok, well I guess they prescribed you an antipsychotic and you didn’t take it. I’m not sure there’s much else they can do though :frowning_face:

my voices are internal too, and my psychiatrist thinks they are hallucinations.
I have studied psychology too and i knew about sz even before it appeared to me.

voices may be internal, external, from a body part or from an object. all these are considered hallucinations since you dont control them.

2 Likes