My dad treats me horribly

This is just one example of many but I am considering not talking to him at least for a long time.

I asked him to borrow money until I get disability coming in, which I will get just not sure exactly when. Lawyer said probably by next month since I have a simple case but who knows. He was on board with it and said it was OK. Then not even 24 hrs after he sends it he drags me through the dirt for the money by saying I need that money back you know why didn’t you ask someone else for it?? When I literally have no one else. He’s mad because the only other time I’ve borrowed money from him it took so long to pay him back he ended up just giving me the money for Christmas. Which I didn’t ask for so it was a gift. He held that over my head acting like I wouldn’t pay him back again. So I sent the money back, then he texted me and gaslit me about my feelings about how he talked to me (his tone of voice was also really harsh and defensive). I was just communicating like an adult who was angry. I think I had a very normal reaction to his behavior. And he said “I didn’t hurt your feelings, I didn’t do anything wrong.”

I’m proud of myself for standing up for myself.

My mom also texted me he threatened to kick her out for no reason.

He’s got anger issues and I’m sick of dealing with it. He treats EVERYONE he’s close to like this. It’s not just me.

2 Likes

Yeah. It sounds like you need space for a while. I went through a period of time where I didn’t talk to my family. They were not kind to me back then and I was sick of it. Now we talk and everything is fine

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve taken space from them before and can do it again. He needs to learn boundaries and the only way to do that is set strict ones with people like that.

2 Likes

I agree. And boundaries are important

1 Like

Me and my dad get along OK.

I’m still trying to heal the relationship that I have with my mom.

It gets better, thats all I can say.

1 Like

Your reaction was completely appropriate. I haven’t spoken to my ■■■■■■■ father in years, and that’s how I intend to keep it. A parent’s love for his/her child should be unconditional and unwavering.

1 Like

Personal opinion is get out if and while you still can somehow because the harm done to you by an abusive parent is accumulating.

1 Like

Agree 100%. I’ve cut them out before I think letting them back in was a mistake.

My father passed away in August. Miss him terribly.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear :frowning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.