Schizophrenia.com

Missing My Friend, Bad

My best friend, Dan just died the end of June. It’s f****** crushing. He was the only friend I had that I could call at 4 in the morning when I needed a friend. He’s the one I would call, to make me see the Ridiculousness of life, and get me to laugh about it. Now when I need him most, he’s not there

I can’t count how many times I’ve picked up the phone and then realized he’s gone. And it’s breaking my f****** heart

I just don’t know what to do

16 Likes

I’m sorry @Cragger . That must be really difficult.

2 Likes

Difficult doesn’t describe it. It’s killing me. I feel completely alone in the world without him

2 Likes

Im so sorry man. I cant imagine losing someone that close, I went crazy after my mom died and I hadnt even seen her for 4 years. He sounds like a wonderful person and its a tragedy that he had to go

2 Likes

I’m sorry too Cragger. I doubt there is anything that I can say to make you feel better, but my thoughts are with you.

2 Likes

Yeah, losing my mom was one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through in my life. This is a very close second, maybe even worse in some ways.

Mom and I never saw eye-to-eye, but I still loved her. With Dan the Los feels brutal. I would rather lose a leg then a good friend. It would be so much easier to deal with

4 Likes

That makes me feel a bit better just hearing it @Bowens . Thanks

1 Like

I’m so sorry. I lost my best friend a long time ago and I still feel pain over it. I know your pain. But it does get better with time. Hang in there

2 Likes

Thanks @Zannah I know you’re right, it’s bound to get better with time. I don’t think this is one of those losses I’ll ever get over. Just a bit less painful with time

Sorry to hear you lost your best friend as well. It’s not easy is it

3 Likes

Yup. That’s how it is for me. What happened to your friend?

1 Like

He had a heart attack

@Cragger, you are valued member of this community, I think you got a lot of friends here…

My friend fron elementary, college… Up to my 30’s died from sz induced suicide.
Day before he kinda called me to say goodbye.
He couldnt bare paranoia…

2 Likes

Man. Sudden and unexpected. That makes it hard to accept it for a while. No time to prepare your heart for it

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that @zoa . It must have been very hard on your friend for him to follow through. My sympathies

My friend said goodbye to me several times on the phone. He lost his entire family within eight months of each other. His father, then his mother than his brother.

He was suicidal for about two and a half years, and I talked him down off the roof a couple of dozen times. What a sick twist of fate that he recovered from depression, only to die of a heart attack. F*** me

2 Likes

@Zannah it was a shock to the system, for sure. The grief still hits me with a force when it comes

1 Like

Sometimes, I would’ve hear my friends voice or smell her scent while walking around. It hit me hard every time

1 Like

I lost my sister in her early 30’s to cancer. She was my best friend too, so I know what you mean about the shock of it all. It’s been almost ten years now.

2 Likes

I’m sure. I’ve got pictures of Dan that I look at once in awhile. Sometimes the memories are fond, and sometimes the loss is just overwhelming

It hit me like a steam train tonight.

2 Likes

If you’re able, let yourself cry it out for a bit. Then focus on something else that’s mentally engaging to get your mind off it. That’s what I do

2 Likes

Thanks, good advice. Believe me, the tears have hit me several times tonight. There’s no stopping tidal wave like that. I think I’m just going to numb out to some TV

3 Likes