Memory Loss & Risperdal?

I have been having some difficulty with memory loss lately. At first I just attributed it to the SZ, but I saw something on the forum about memory loss and Risperdal. I looked up the side effects and lo and behold memory loss is listed as a “Common” side effect. I will talk to my doctor about this, but in the meantime I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I’ve got memory loss problems, but it’s made worse by benzos. It’s a side effect of benzos. So benzos are making a bad situation worse for me. I’m on abilify.

1 Like

I’m assuming Risperdal is a benzo? If so, do you think all of them will do this or just some?

It’s so frustrating, as I’m sure my pdoc will have to prescribe yet another medication; I really like the Risperdal.

No, risperdal isn’t a benzo. Benzos are things like Cloneazapam.

1 Like

What dose of Risperdal are you on?

I take Risperdal and Klonopin (benzo)

I’m on 1 mg, which is the smallest dose. My doctor is trying to ramp me up slowly, as I don’t like taking medication (think they are hurting me).

Yeah, 1 mg is a starter dose really.

Does anyone know if it affects WHILE you take it, if it affects even memories you had BEFORE taking them or is like a permanent loss on the ability to remember things?

My short term memory is horrible because of Risperdal. I’ve been on Risperdal for 8 years now, and it does get better if you are active and put your brain to “work” a lot.

1 Like