Medicine is making me feel stupid

i feel less scared. less weird stuff is happening. but its making me feel stupid and thats effecting my behavior. im not dumber than i was but i just FEEL stupid. im sick of this. i guess ill jsut quit it again. then at least i wont have to replace my dr who moved.

1 Like

My instinct is to say stay on your meds.

No judgemnet. We all know we hate meds.

1 Like

Probably best to keep taking your meds. I think you should see a psychiatrist and see what they recommend.

1 Like

I’m thinking of stopping my ap’s … They don’t work

1 Like

That happens to me too. To dull it, try an energy drink.

2 Likes

does it feel like its killing ur soul?

2 Likes

Maybe you are on the wrong medication

1 Like

idk. its working. its just slowing me down. killing my happiness. and my thinking. or maybe im just tired. idk.

2 Likes

There’s pros and cons to med. I sort of liked a couple like risperdal, abilify, and vraylar. I seem to do a lot better on fewer meds. I can only take cymbalta and vraylar. It took 5-6 years to find these meds. Lots of trial and errors and waiting. After 10 years, I feel like I got better. Still a long road ahead for sure still. I think the first ten years were hell for me.

I tried mood stabilizers for my schizoaffective disorder and either have less energy, motivation, and no thoughts, or complain. I did the best on lamotrigine. Topamax made me psychotic, but I lost all my Ap weight on it. It’s good for AP induced weight gain. I had paranoia on topamax.

I feel smarter on the meds but have tons of side effects that are negative. I think it causes less motivation and weight gain mainly now.

2 Likes

yeah this is risperidone and i like it but i feel like its making me more aware of myself which is making me realize my dumbness and its also slowing my thoughts which is changing how i have been for a very long time so making me feel not myself. and also making me self concious

i took this too before and i got so skinny. like under 100 pounds. never wanted to eat.

i am feeling “smarter” too i guess or a more better way to describe it is with my thoughts slowed and quieter and not hearing voices and loud thoughts i can understand what people are saying better and focus better. but it doesnt feel like me (the slowness). im not used to it

1 Like

It’s not worth losing touch with reality.
Maybe you find your delusions exciting and give you purpose and with meds taking it away you are left with the truth. But you have to live in the truth not the delusions and hallucinations.

1 Like

idk. it is scary off meds and when im off them i hate it too. but when im on it i feel not fully me i think cause it slows me down. but it can be pretty amazing some of the ideas i get off meds but MOST of them are terrfying.

1 Like

ill try this. maybe take up a lot of coffee. did u adjust to the caffeine and it quits working or does it always help?

Theres a give and take with meds. With meds you wont be hallucinating or thinking crazy ideas but it does dull the senses and steal your energy. In time you can get use to the effects of the medication and live a peaceful life but you will have to adjust to it it took me years to feel ok on meds

1 Like

yeah i just feel like such a dull and boring and stupid person lately on meds. before i was stupid but at least i wasnt dull

1 Like

I understand I hate the way I feel on meds too and I vape all day to counter the cruminess of it but at least Im not laying in bed all day completely out of mind from voices and paranoia

1 Like

The psychosis and delusions were suffocating my soul. The meds removed these and now my soul can breathe and grow.

2 Likes

Think it through first. Most people who quit their meds suddenly will relapse. I see very few people successfully go off their meds. Maybe you need a different med.

For me, it’s a matter of not feeling fully awake, alert. And yes my concentration is not great and I can’t exercise easily… :sob:

1 Like

Yea… I need something. When I think back on it… my positives never really went away. It was always the environment that had the most effect. I was doing ok in zyprexa but had high blood sugar and gained a lot of weight.

I’m on latuda now and my life is much better… Not because of a reduction in positives but because of less side effects. Maybe I can bring the latuda down and see if there is any changes in positive???