Medication for ocd?

Does anyone use a helpful medication for ocd? If so, could you recommend it to me?

Prozac or other SSRI’s have helped some of my family members with OCD. I’m sure a pdoc would have plenty of suggestions. Are you seeing one yet?

I’ve been on Luvox and Anafranil, they both helped me control symptoms.

You can try to not give into compulsion –

obsession means whatever is stressing you.
compulsion is the action you do to make stress stop.

Example - O: Think door knobs are dirty – C: wash hands every time you touch door knobs.

This is really stressful for a first few days but stresser eventually stops. Just do not do the compulsion and let whatever obsession bother you. You can even expose yourself to more of the obsession/stresser if you want. ALWAYS trust yourself, never double check anything except once.

You can journal through all the stress if you want about each worry/incident…Focus on how a normal would handle it and try to not look like you are stressed/anxious and ill.

Naltrexone has helped my ocd

Higher dose Prozac helped my ocd.

Certain Antidepresants help with OCD - Unfortunately I cannot take them, as they will make me completely Manic and Super Anxious.

Oh Well, Life goes on I suppose …

1 Like

Yeah, the go to is an antidepressant. It’s complicated but just see a psychiatrist.

Maybe practice the four R’s of recovery from OCD.

Relabel the thoughts and behaviors as symptoms of an illness.

Reattribute the symptoms to messed up brain wiring, like a hardware problem on a computer.

Refocus your attention on something else. Don’t feed the illness your mind.

Revalue the whole damn thing. What is the OCD worth? What the hell is it good for? Do the intrusive thoughts and compulsions really do you any good or do they just hurt and hold you back?

I had SEVERE OCD as a teen. It was like Howard Hughes from that move The Aviator starring Leonardo Dicaprio.

I also had a girlfriend who had severe OCD.

And for the record, I still have some OCD but it’s the least of my worries. Scz is like Moby Dick, a huge ass whale compared to the OCD fish to fry.

Luvox worked for me

Do not give into compulsion…Can write out your anxiety in journal, will be really unpleasant few days to start. You have an anxiety processing problem…Drink for a few days instead of eat junk…

Learn to trust yourself and not double check anything…Can also expose yourself good to whatever bothers you…

I think cbd can help that. It’s hard to treat.

try zoloft no side effec ts for me works for depression and axiety, FDA approved

Did it help with intrusive thoughts