Mania. What is it?

Not everyone with sz experiences every possible symptom.

Can you show me one article that says that mania is a symptom of sz? If you can I will acknowledge your point. I have never seen any such article.

Dopaminergic activity is thought to increase during a state of mania. Thereā€™s lots of articles that show that.

Iā€™ve wondered this too @pasteyface. Every now and then, Iā€™ll feel a heightened sense of euphoria, no drugs or alcohol, like the day is just going by well. I feel good! But in the back of my mind, I wonder if Iā€™m supposed to be feeling good.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about the reason for the scarcity of articles regarding mania and schizophrenia. It wouldnā€™t be surprising to anyone that a schizophrenic was acting like a maniac, but this is a term for someone in mania. Maniac is also synonymous with lunatic, psychotic, etc.

Mania With Psychosis vs Schizophrenia vs Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type (psychiatrictimes.com)

@Bowens This is a good article that explains why I have schizophrenia with mania but not a mood disorder like schizoaffective

1 Like

I assume mania is a normal person taking an upper. Coke. Meth. Adderall.

Sure its not exactly the same but. It must feel like I can do anything kind of feeling.

Iā€™m opposite of mania. SZA-Depressive

1 Like

I am currently reading it on my phone if it was @everhopeful 's article. It would not load up on my computer.

@everhopeful is not in this thread

1 Like

He posted this same article I believe. Check the forum

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting that in the DSM5 it separates bipolar and schizoaffective by the co-occurance of the manic and psychosis(delusional and hallucinations).

In the case of schizoaffective diagnosis, it needs to be experienced for at least 2 weeks separate of above psychosis.

1 Like

I was labeled thatā€¦last conversation I had i was toldā€”its schizophreniaā€¦I told him I think you are wrong and he said its hard to be able to diagnose me because I have a substance use history, but I had schizoaffective or bipolar prior to the substance useā€¦maybe the drugs brought back my emotions but that wouldnt make senseā€¦

I was supposed to talk to my new psychiatrist today and its the second time I crashed due to mania and missed itā€¦I am pretty sure I have Bipolar1 where Im either always happy or always depressed, like a switch that goes off or on depending on circumstancesā€¦weather and the moonā€¦

1 Like

Intense amount of neuroinflammation causing overactive thoughts.

Actually itā€™s more like a bonfire in your brain then someone dumps a gallon of dopamine and adrenaline on it :smile:

"Both a manic and a hypomanic episode include three or more of these symptoms:

• Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired
  • Increased activity, energy or agitation
  • Exaggerated sense of well-being and self-confidence (euphoria)
  • Decreased need for sleep
  • Unusual talkativeness
  • Racing thoughts
  • Distractibility
  • Poor decision-making ā€” for example, going on buying sprees, taking sexual risks or making foolish investments"
2 Likes

I dealt with it in my younger years, from 15-29 my diagnosis was Bipolar 2. It keeps you up for days and gives you grandiose feelings, but they are very minor grandiose feelings compared to what sz/sza can produce. These days since I went through the classical sz symptoms I am diagnosed sza. I donā€™t notice mania anymore, the other symptoms kind of distract from it, but it might have something to do with why I canā€™t freaking sleep half the time.

2 Likes

Also one difference between bipolar 2 and 1 is the extremeness of mania

1 Like

Yea they say Bipolar 1 has mania while Bipolar 2 has hypomania instead.

1 Like

In the hospital during my first episode they thought i might have bi polar or sza. And when they tried giving me lithium it really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  me up because im straight sz.

1 Like

I think I am in hypomania, or having repeated bouts of hypomania. It is really not possible to say right now with100 percent certainty this is the case.