Mania. What is it?

So I hear people saying they are going through a phase of mania. What is that exactly? What does a manic schizophrenic look like. I am very hyper today. I feel good. Like I have energy. It rarely ever happens but it feels good. Is this mania?

I don’t think it’s manic schizophrenics you are hearing talk about this. It’s Schizoaffective Bipolar types I would think.

2 Likes

Or just bipolar people.

2 Likes

Ah okay. I must just be having a good day. I’ve gone out for tobacco. Went for a ride. Wrote a song. Added layers to said song. I might post it on here to see what people think.

4 Likes

I have sz not sza or bipolar so idk but I think I may had Abilify induced mania.

1 Like

Have you looked into if this is possible? I’m just not used to feeling so good. I feel like something is wrong

1 Like

Are you taking abilify?

You’re on Abilify? Honestly I am not a Dr but its just from what I read online about dopamine agonists like Abilify. I read that dopamine agonists can cause dopamine dysregulation syndrome which can lead to mania, Adderrall and Ritalin are more powerful dopamine agonists than Abilify. These Abilify side effects are very rare I read.

*partial dopamine agonists like Abilify.

1 Like

There is something like mania in schizophrenia. I was originally diagnosed bipolar but had no significant depression.

I have zero mania with schizophrenia. I almost wish that I did, although I hear that true mania can be quite destructive.

3 Likes

Mania goes from being really awesome to really bad eventually.

I’d describe it as if I took a bunch of ecstasy pills. Can’t stop talking, hardly need sleep, 10 million ideas that have no connection to each other, maybe start new businesses that make no sense, excessive exercise like an 8 hour mtn bike ride in the mountains.

Then you mix in some voices that start telling you to do stuff and you think there Devine.

Then eventually extreme agitation, anger, explosiveness.

The mania could last for hours, a day , a week or months.

I remember one mania I had a delusion that I could tell which woman were actually men disguised as women based on there eyes. It was freaky. I thought almost all the women were men. There eyes were very piercing

3 Likes

You could have a bit of hypomania(mild mania) if your getting a bunch of ideas for music and stuff and it’s uncharacteristic of you.

My manias on meds are not too bad.
Off meds I become a paranoid and delusional mess!

Off meds my manias get real high and I can become grandiose or I can become extremely paranoid.

Not all manias are euphoric.

I have bipolar.

Schizophrenics don’t become manic unless you have schizoaffective bipolar type.

2 Likes

I agree with @Wave . I doubt your uptick in energy is considered true mania unless you are misdiagnosed.

2 Likes

No. I’m on invega

1 Like

It’s definitely just a good day. It feels good. I’m waiting for disaster

2 Likes

Minus the possibility of a medication causing it.

Schizophrenia definitely can cause a manic state. Bipolar disorder is obviously a mood disorder with both depression and mania present

1 Like

I disagree. I suppose it may be possible to have a disorder that causes mania and have schizophrenia at the same time but schizophrenia is not the cause of mania. If it were, I should have experienced it. I have sz and have never experienced mania.

1 Like