Low dopamine causes hunger and weight gain

Meds block dopamine which makes me hungry all the time. Off meds I eat much less and I burn more calories by moving more. I tried LDopa and I ate half what I eat when I was on it. Its known to reduce appetite as it increases dopamine like stimulants. Problem is it can worsen psychosis since it does the opposite of what antipsychotics do, it boosts dopamine. My dr told me to stay away from it so I dont end up psychotic again.

1 Like

I hate that with sz thers lots of symptoms, negative, positive and cognitive, and that if I try to improve negative symptoms, positive symptoms get worse!

3 Likes

My appetite was decreased on risperidone. But it was high on olanzapine.

1 Like

You chase drugs

I drink a lot of coffees, tea, sparkling water, still water, instant soups to battle hunger. There are plenty of low calorie options available.

1 Like

I found any drugs that make me hungry also trigger addictions like craving alcohol. I have to be very careful with stuff like that.

1 Like

I got fat on Invega, weight skyrocketed from 65kg to 100kg in just 4 months… jesus… Now im on haldol and dont eat much, i think i need to cut sugary drinks to lose weight

1 Like

I think the anti-histamine action is a bigger culprit.

-Albert.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.